Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries in a pyrimid

Posted by berry_Bob 5 se,SD (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 15:47

Who has done this and how did it turn out ? Did you have a problem wintering them ? I am in zone 5 seSD.

Thanks
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries in a pyrimid

I'm in zone 5a in WI, and I have strawberries in a pyramid. We have a good snow cover this year, so I'm not too worried about them overwintering. I forgot to cover them with straw in the fall, so the snow is doing all my work this year. Most over wintered last year, but half the strawberries on the bottom circle were smothered by the maple leaves, as I didn't remove them early enough in the spring.

I have one of those circular pyramid kits, with the metal sides. It was a bit of a pain to put together (I ended up taping the edges), but it works well. The strawberries are happy. I never use the included sprayer, it doesn't get good coverage of my oval-shaped pyramid. I hand-water as necessary.

o

here is what I am looking at building

Here is a link that might be useful: tower

o

berry_Bob

Something to consider. Strawberries like sun light. From the picture, it looks like the structure blocks the berries on the back side from getting good sun light. I haven't actually seen one, so I could be wrong. Or maybe they don't expect to plant berries on the back side?

o

from what I have read you turn it so a corner points north that way they all get some sunlight

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here