Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how many blueberries can you get from one shrub?

Posted by preppyjock (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 15:47

after i buy one from a store, how soon will they produce, and how many do they produce usually in a year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how many blueberries can you get from one shrub?

8-20lbs depending on variety/age/care

o

OOPs.. wrong post
PJ-
8-20lbs depending on age/variety/care

o

For southern high bush on a 7 year old bush about 10 lbs depending on pruning, how happy the plant is and the variety.

They will produce the first year if you let them, which you shouldn't.

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 16:08

o

wow. how tall will they grow?

and since when i planted the shrub in the ground, it died. so i am thinking about growing in a big pot. will it still produce that many?

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 17:00

0-10 lbs or so if you are factoring in age. I think the other estimates are for fully mature and happy bushes.

o

Preppy,

I have seen Emeralds so tall that the migrant workers could not pick them easily but height is controlled by you through pruning.

Rabbiteye blueberries can hit 15-20 feet I guess again if allowed to do so.

There are some commercial growers here in Florida that have acres and acres of blueberries all in 30 gallon pots. They may produce slightly less in a pot for most people. I know Steve (Fruitnut) had a huge yield out of a Star BB in a pot..bigger than I have ever got from my inground plants even but he is a rockstar grower:) He knows his stuff.

Bamboo_Rabbit say.... a slightly reduced yield in a pot is still way more production than a dead plant in the ground. :)

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 17:09

o

I grow blueberry only in pots by this way I can control the soil PH I tried in the ground never worked for me.I use different sizes pots depending on how big the tree is and how old I have them in 10, 15, and 20 gallons pots. I am happy with the production I will never be a blueberry wholesaler just for my kids to eat and they eat a lot of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here