Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberries - how early can I plant

Posted by m_taggart 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 15:48

I want to get June bearing strawberries in the ground as soon as I can. I'll be removing the flowers this year, so frost damage to fruit is a non-issue. I purchased them bare root and they are currently growing in a greenhouse in deep pots.

If I put them in the ground this week under Agribon AG-19 row cover, would they do alright?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberries - how early can I plant

There's still a sizeable chance for some fairly hard frosts left before the end of the year. I'd say keep them in the greenhouse and warm for another month or two, just to be safe.

o

I am NOT an expert but I think if they are well covered to prevent frost damage I would go ahead and plant if the ground isn't frozen. I don't see why not if they will be protected.

o

Any harm in them getting pot bound? I paid very little for them and figured they would be better off in pots than sitting in peat and packaging fora month.

o

Strawberries don't have a lot of roots, and grow very well in pots. Don't worry about them going rootbound. They'll be fine.

o

I'd plant them out right now, if ASAP is what you want. My assorted varieties don't mind frost, and adult plants have been fine in the ground down to 8 degrees, here.

o

Whoops - I was thinking Sunset zones, and see that you are a zone colder, not warmer, than me. If you expect more nights below 22, say, maybe you ought to wait.

I should not post when I am so sleepy :).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here