Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing of fruit trees

Posted by sheisaeval Dallas, Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 16:03

I've been doing research but I feel like different sites say different amount of spacing needed for certain fruit trees. So I just wanted to know, with your experience and opinion, what would be a good minimum spacing required for these fruit trees?

fuyu persimmon
texas everbearing fig
elberta peach
methley plum
moorpark apricot

navaho blackberry

Also, I am going to get these bare foot probably, but I also wanted to know if you would recommend or not putting compost in the hole with the tree while planting, and if you would recommend root stimulators/activators or not?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing of fruit trees

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 17:48

We have everbearing red raspberries, I think they are Heritage, and over the past 15 years, I have finally settled on three foot spacing between clumps. The thing is to avoid having an impenetrable thicket. I also grow blueberries, and typically I keep them four feet apart, although commercial growers space them around 8 feet, to my knowledge.

o

Spacing seems to depend on how much time you want to devote to pruning, your rootstock, and how big you want your trees. Dave Wilson Nursery (as I recall) says you can plant in an 8x8 grid, but they assume you're keeping the trees small, and are pruning during the summer. I put my trees on a 12x16 spacing because I'm willing to deal with bigger trees, the orchard is 'right' for that spacing, and don't feel like pruning when the temps are into the high 90's.

I'd tell you to look at your space, and figure out an esthetic spacing, and go with that. You're going to have to look at them for a while. ;)

I'd also probably plant the fig separately if I could, since they seem to do well in drier soil. But that's just my thing.

o

I agree with MrCaballus - depends what you want.

I like my trees small, easy to harvest and easy to prune.

Below is a video on high-density planting, from dave wilson as mentioned above. There's more info at their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson youtube on high density planting

o

If you are pruning to pedestrian height (for harvest without a ladder) I would make them about 8' apart in rows 12' apart. Larger spacing is better if you want taller trees, and smaller is better if you have too little room.

Don't add compost to the hole and don't use any activators. The only exception is if the soil is low in organics, then you can add up to 1/4th or so compost - no more than 1/4th.

Scott

o

Oh, yeah, be careful with the fig. Despite doing OK in dry conditions, they are water hungry and have invasive roots. Better not to plant close to the house and other trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here