Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_ny_gw

PF 8 Ball White peach

Dan.NY
12 years ago

I just ordered one of these trees, along with a Raritan Rose. This is apparently very new variety and I hope it performs well. Supposed to be good to -12F. I dont get that low very often.

Does anyone have one of these planted or know anything about this peach?

Thanks

Dan

Comments (8)

• Dan.NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am assuming nobody knows much about this so I will periodically post something about it here once I have it in the ground and it starts growing.

Dan

• Dan.NY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This tree came fairly stout from Boyer but already budding and growing. (I wont order from them again though due to other issues) It survived lack of enough rain, deer predation and winter. This spring it came back well and is growing reasonably. Raritan rose, right next to it, also survived and is doing better compared to 8 ball. Growing stronger and faster to date. Deer fence is replaced, tons of water so far and last look one surviving blossom out of maybe 6. I was letting it grow. Hope to see the mature fruit, but am not counting on it.

• Dan.NY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Resurrecting my thread. Summer of 2013 was good for this peach and it did well. Raritan Rose right next to it did grow better, faster, stronger though. However.. that is NOT to say 8 ball did poorly. It did fine. This spring I was set for at least a small crop of peaches from this tree. But.. alas. The mice/voles/rabbits. Whatever decided they wanted to eat the bark from the tree. All the way around the tree is eaten, and its several inches high. The tree is likely going to be dead come the warm weather this spring. Its been a bit of a chore to find this tree for sale as a replacement. I guess not so popular. I think I located another one and am working on getting it for this spring.

The clock will start again if I can get this tree and I will likely update this thread every now and again. Hopefully with better news in three years. This is kind of humbling really and aggravating.

Good news is my Raritan Rose came through (so far...) and I should have peaches from it in August. Happy me!

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

Can't comment on the 8-ball, but Raritan Rose is a great tasting peach

• Dan.NY
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well got the replacement for 8 ball white peach from Cummins nursery. Nice place to visit. The tree was quite a bit lankier than boyer. Tall and thin. But its in the ground. Now if we could only get some warm weather it may take off.

Looking forward to my Raritan Rose this late summer. !!! The image here is/was my 8 ball. What a bum deal. grrr.

• olpea
    9 years ago

Dan,

Please keep posting on this thread. I read it every time you add an update. Bummer voles ate the last one. Once you get one fruiting, I'm interested in how you think the peach tastes.

• Dan.NY
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fime for an update. 2014 saw reasonable growth for the 8 ball white peach, but not tremendous. My RR blossoms did not make it so no white peaches last year.

Disaster has struck once again however. My 8 ball peach nearly died over the winter. The only thing alive is one three inch side shoot. This is near the graft but is above. The top and other branches were all dead and I pruned down. I dont think the tree will make it

If it does still years away from any fruit. The good news in this is my RR is a large healthy tree with tons of blossoms. I expect fruit from itthis year.

Happy growing everyone.

• eastmeetwest
    8 years ago

Dan,

Do you know that Olpea does not post here anymore? When Gardenweb, became Houzz, Scott Smith created a new forum for fruit growers only. Olpea and many experienced growers moved there. Some still visit here. Many moved permanently.

Google Scott Smith growing fruit, you will find his site and many of us there.