Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazen_gw

Best time to graft peach trees?

Jazen
11 years ago

Hi everybody
I have been reading about when to gather scions for grafting peach trees and they say to do it in the winter when the tree is dormant and then freeze/refrigerate the scion until spring/summer and graft. I have also read to do it early spring, both scion harvesting and grafting. Since it is winter now, I was wondering if I should go ahead and gather some scions just to try it.

Comments (4)

• franktank232
    11 years ago

chip budding...summer...

• marknmt
    11 years ago

What Frank says ... I've failed at most stonefruit grafting because I thought one could follow the rules for spring grafting, which works quite well for pomes -so because I had some success with pears and apples I thought the same pattern would work with apricots.

But stone fruit require warmer temperatures to callous over well, and warmer temps happen in the summer. Scottsmith and others speak well to the exact temperatures where this happens well, but the short answer is "summer grafting", which means either budding or chip budding depending on your preference. The buds you would use in the summer haven't grown yet. The bud you use in spring grafting grew last summer.

Hope this didn't muddy the waters for you.

• Tony
    11 years ago

Jazen,

Here is an old post on grafting stone fruit.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: grafting stone fruit

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

All my spring peach grafts took last year. I waited until around pedal fall when trees are gathering strength and used the easiest of grafts- the splice.

First year that I tried grafting peaches, but my plum grafts in the past had a very low rate of survival when I grafted at first growth. Last year I waited until after bloom and most grafts took.

For apples and pears I get best results grafting earlier- at or just before first growth.

Scion wood should be gathered before any signs of growth but later gathering reduces the chance of wood drying out. Triple wrap it with wet cloth in outside wrap and refrigerate. Freezing could have a more dehydrating affect, I'm told.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County