Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with identifying

Posted by wunderpit CA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 16:29

This twig was pulled from a roughly 10ft tree in my backyard. Every so often these purple looking "berries" (even though I swear they are not) grow. I tried searching every keyword I could think of online.

The only reason that I think that it may be something edible is that the original owner of the home lined up the entire back yard with edibles: peach, lemon, pomegranate, fig�and then this one. No idea!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with identifying

They maybe huckleberries all berries turn so can't see bottom berry check image link see if bottoms are same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huckleberry.

o

They don't look like huckleberries in person. They almost have a "point" at end of the berry…I'm calling it a berry because it looks kind of like it. Any other ideas??

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 20:20

They look like cascara to me.

o

India (now usually "Indian") Hawthorn, Rhaphiolepis indica.

The berries can be used for jam.

o

Just from looking at pictures and not from experience I have to agree with Murky, but I want a little clarification: there is something about the plant that reminds me of the heath family and of kinnikinnik- maybe the pointy tips on the lower leaves, and the nature of the unopened flower buds?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 13:00

It's not Prunus caroliniana?

Here is a link that might be useful: prunus caroliniana

o

Thanks for all of the responses! Awesome! Going in order and comparing what I find on Google:

- The leaves on the Cascara have distinct "lines" that are not on this tree. Also, the leaf shape seems more rounded on Cascara, and the berries are NEVER red.

-The Indian Hawthorn is very bushy, what I have is a tree, and the blooms are not pink.

- Prunus Caroliniana (Cherry Laurel) looks closest, which they say is highly toxic…(read below)

Side note: My dog was eating the fallen berries, which is what prompted the original post! He's just fine, and it has been days. I am adding a few more pictures. If it's a Cherry Laurel, I'll have to remove it.

Thank you for any more input!

o

Another

o

And lastly...

o

Could you locate the original owner and ask him?
Northwoodswis

o

If you're still not sure, I'd post your pics on the Name That Plant! forum. Seems like there are alot of people there just waiting for a new one to come in. Probably someone from Cal there too. If so, let us know the outcome here. It may be an ornamental.

o

You could email the photos to the county extension office and they surely should know.

o

Many private nurseries can also tell you what it is.

o

Looks like Privet to me. Ligustrum japonicum. It can grow into a tree if not hedged like everyone does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here