Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Fruit Grower magazine, good read

Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:37

This month there are good articles on fire blight, irrigation, and grow regulators to promote branching and reduce excess vigor. Any serious fruit grower should consider a subscription, $75 for three years. About 16 issues per year. Since it's out of WA it centers on that industry. But there are frequent articles about the Eastern and Midwestern US.

I've been a reader since the 70s. No affiliation or any other reason to promote other than all I've learned over the years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Fruit Grower magazine, good read

Been a subscriber for years and agree. Its front covers are things of beauty as well. New Yorker and it are all I subscribe to through the mail, and NYer sub. is a continuing gift from my mother.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 9:40

I've been growing since 71 and only possibly ever had fire blight one time. That tree hit the ground so fast it bounced right into the trash, well almost. Anyone with fire blight should read this issue. There are numerous new control methods and materials.

o

what magazine?

o

Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 10:55

Good Fruit Grower. Website link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Fruit Grower

o

Darn, was hoping the article on Fireblight was available online, but alas, I do not see it.

Patty S.

o

fruitnut, I cannot find the article about Fireblight in the February issue? I just flipped through the digital version, so maybe it's not in the digital version but only in the print version?

Patty S.

o

Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 19:44

Patty:

It's in the Febr 15 vol 64 no 4 edition. The last one posted is no3 the Febr 1 edition. There are 17 issues per year. My guess is the no 4 will be posted in a week or two.

I just renewed for three more years.

o

Ah, that explains why I could not find the article! I'll wait a bit, and check back in a few for the new issue. Thanks, fruitnut.

Patty S.

o

I have been getting it for five years or so. I would say its probably best for most of us home growers to just skim the website every couple of months, the online version is only one month out of date. About 80% of the content is industry stuff I don't really care about. Well, its still interesting to read about the new automated harvesters etc, just not particularly relevant.

Scott

o

Also, your own landgrant university (through cooperative extension) has most info of what's available and affective in your own state for any pest control issues. Many of the products discussed in Good Fruit are not packaged for home growers and sometimes only legal in Washington State.

o

I subscribe to Western Fruit Grower and its free. It is also geared to commercial growers which I am, but there are still good general purpose articles in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here