Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know what this tree is?

Posted by gregoriocortez CA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 16:58

Just bought a house with this living in the yard. Some type of fruit tree but not sure which. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know what this tree is?

Close up on the leaves

o

looks like a mango to me but I'm in zone 7

o

I agree with John. The leaves look very much like mango's leaves.

What zone you are in? Planting a mango tree out in the yard is impressive.

o

We are in San Diego so a mango tree would probably have a pretty tough time I would think. Then again they must have planted it for some reason. I do love mangos so I would love for it to work here. If not, maybe I should pull it an plant another tree instead?

o

Well,it's growing.Why not see what it does?

o

Looks like a mango to me as well. Mangos do quite well in San Diego county, especially if you're close to the ocean. My mango froze 2 winters ago, when we had that ridiculous cold snap. But then, I'm 6 miles from the coast and up in the hills, so I can get a fair amount colder than at the coast. With protection it would have survived.

Patty S.

o

If your microclimate is good/warm enough for mango, it has a good chance. Some mango varieties tolerate cold weather better than the others. If you know the variety, you can look it up.

Where I am, it's in the middle of winter. What does your tree look like now?

If you have enough space, why not keep it? It looks very healthy. You may need to protect it during a very cold spell. Good luck.

o

We are just under 1 mile from the ocean in Cardiff. I will definitely keep it because like I said I LOVE mangos. Can't say the same for the loquat tree that is in the yard as well though.

o

Gregorio, you're in mango country. Just watch if we get a ridiculous cold snap like last year, but looks to me like a mango. Keep us posted.

Patty S.

o

I love loquats. First fruit of the season....though if it is from seed it can be problematic.

o

Is there any way to tell what type of mango tree it is without waiting for the fruit?

o

I'd say it'd be very difficult. Where I grew up, even mango growers had hard time telling different varieties apart by just looking at the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here