Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolishpleasure

Nursery called TYTY

foolishpleasure
11 years ago

I heard very bad things about that nursery. but this the only nursery which sells the Blueberry varieties I want, Should I take the plunge? and try it it is $100 the total order.

Comments (17)

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. No no no.

What varieties are you looking for?

• foolishpleasure
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bambo. thanks for the warning
    I am looking for Rabbiteye blueberry in the following varieties
    BRIGHTWELL
    BRIGHTBLUE
    CLIMAX
    DELITE
    PREMIER
    TIFBLUE
    Iwant to buy bigger trees I bhave no patience to wait for 4 inches plants. This nursery selld producing age plants at roughly 25 dollars each. Do you know of another reputable one.I bought some from PAM fast growing trees but they don't tell you what youare getting I doubt if they know. To them all blueberry is bluebrry
    Abe

• murkwell
    11 years ago

You should have titled it "TYTY calls itself a nursery" ;)

Aside from the reports of dead stock, there are lots of reports of mis-labels.

As skeptical as I would be of the authenticity of any variety from them, I'd be even more so if they claim to have something that can't be found elsewhere.

• john222-gg
    11 years ago

I have bought a few trees from TYTY and was happy with what I got the only thing I complain abought is they don't show chill hours for everything they sell.There is a lot of people that talkes bad abought them?????????

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Yeah. They're poseurs and misrepresent GA866. Check out some of their photos.

• c5tiger
    11 years ago

Those are common varieties that you should be able to get at a local nursery. I just picked up a nice Alapaha rabbiteye from Stan Mckenzie for $4. It has blooms all over it. You should be able to get what you need locally without shipping cost for a lot less.

• Fascist_Nation
    11 years ago

And about 100 other names....ummm interesting videos....

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Abe,

How many plants in total did you need? Did the $25 include shipping?

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

Just fruits and exotics has a bunch of rabbit eye varieties and they are good people. Ive ordered all of my rabbiteyes and several SHB from them.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

BackyardBerryPlants, BerriesUnlimited, and JustFruitsAndExotics all have 2-3 gal potted blueberry plants. None are cheap (mostly in the $25-30 range), but all 3 have very nice plants- definitely a better bet than Tyty.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You might be interested in this older thread...which is just one of several regarding TyTy and the other companies owned by the same person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for some information

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

One thing that any consumer should do prior to making any kind of purchase is to look around for customer reviews of the product. For example, you might want to Google 'TyTy nursery reviews', just to see if anything informative comes up.

It's just a suggestion and might be worth your while.

• RobThomas
    11 years ago

Also check out Ison's. They carry only rabbiteye blueberries and have most of those you list.

http://store.isons.com/berry-plants/blueberry

• olpea
    11 years ago

"For example, you might want to Google 'TyTy nursery reviews', just to see if anything informative comes up."

There has been a lot of discussion in the internet about TyTy through the years. Below is a search link for discussions about TyTy on GardenWeb alone.

Dave's Garden used to have a review site on TyTy. The reviews were simply horrid (worst I've ever seen). People receiving dead plants, mislabeled plants, plants not shipped.

According to the negative reviews, people would call TyTy to find out why their plants were dead or not shipped and they were either promised new shipments (which subsequently never arrived) spoken rudely to, or hung up on.

Dave's Garden eventually pulled the reviews of TyTy but you can still see some reviews of Aarons nursery, which some claim is the same nursery under a different name.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb discussions about Ty Ty

This post was edited by olpea on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 14:41

• bennylafleur
    11 years ago

I believe that Finch Blueberry Nursery has all the varieties that you are looking for.

Benny

• pheeki
    11 years ago

I wanted figs and tyty had the most varieties. I called them and they told me for my zone that fall was a good time to plant these figs...even though I though it might be a little late in the season, I trusted them. I got the figs but they were not as tall as I expected...still they seemed alive...we planted them the next day using their exact instructions. This would be December 1st in North Texas, when I planted. Well, spring rolls around and everything in my yard is blooming, including my 5-year-old unidentified variety of fig bought at Lowe's, and the two TyTy figs are doing nothing and looking dead. I go on their website and see a link for replacements, so it pops up an email. I sent them my reciept and what the problem was...weeks go by and no reply. Then I call them and the phone rang for a while and someone picked up and hung up. this happened twice because I thought it was just a bad connection so I tried again and it again rang and rang and someone picked up and I heard a brief noise and they hung up!!!
    So today, I called again and finally got some rude man who told me I have to print off a return application with all this complicated stuff and IF it's accepted I will have to pay nearly the original amount I paid for the figs to get them returned! The don't provide return shipping labels or anything!!! The only reason I bought from them was because they acted so confidant that it was the right time to plant figs and they advertised a year warranty! Do not buy from these people!!!!

• john_in_sc
    11 years ago

To the OP....

Those are the most common varieties of Rabbit Eye blueberries in the entire universe.... They are great - so don't think of those as the Red Delicious Apple of Blueberries... They make plenty of tasty blueberries...

Every single nursery in SC, NC, GA, and AL will be selling those varieties this spring.... Business has been off for those guys because the weather has been so cold - but it will pick up here soon enough as warm weather arrives....

Not sure where specifically you live, but I would check with local high quality Nurseries.... If they don't have about 50 of each one right now.. they will within a month or so... They can certainly order them for you... and you will be able to get BIG plants and carry them home the same day...

Thanks