Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young Apple tree bloom question?

Posted by thisisme az9b (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 17:10

I have a small Golden Dorette that I purchased last year. At the time of purchase I topped it to about 26" and it has branched nicely.

At this point the branches are about as big around as my index finger and the tree is in bloom.

Should I be cutting these flowers off or should I let them grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young Apple tree bloom question?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 20:17

It's wise to remove all blossoms the first 3 to 4 years in order for the tree to use its energy to develop a sturdy root system.

o

Thanks jean001 thats what I figured as that is what I have done with my other trees. This is my 1st and one and only apple tree so far so I thought I should ask just to make sure.

o

I thin the clusters to one apple in the first year and like to see as many as possible without breaking limbs or something. I am trying to grow apples. If I want to grow firewood I will grow ash. If your apple tree is not producing at least 40 pounds of apples for you in the fourth year, and about half that much in the third, then you need to do something different.
I have fertile soil.

o

Thin the apples to one per cluster and harvest your first fruit the week before school lets out. Dorsett Golden is a maniac and will have no problems fruiting and growing at the same time. It will always fruit the second year, even when grafted onto seedling rootstock.

Applenut

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here