Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found Crown Gall on Cherry Tree

Posted by Puggylover75 9B Norco, Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 17:18

Hi All!

Found a gall right near the soil line and near the base of my Minnie Royal Cherry tree (Colt rootstock, planted last spring). The tree is planted in a half whiskey barrel without a bottom, the roots are just now starting to reach the ground level.

From what I have read the tree must go to tree heaven and I am not to plant anything in it's spot for two years? Is this correct? Has anyone had experience with gall? Are all my other fruit trees in trouble now (I have around 50 trees)? Can I wait til this years season is over to remove the tree and can I put one back in the same spot because the roots where not in the ground soil yet? Or is that spot done for for the next couple of years?

Thank you for thoughts. I am in a little bit of a panic.....spent a lot of time and money on my yard to have this ruin everything. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found Crown Gall on Cherry Tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 21:54

I've got galls by the hundreds mostly on Citation rootstock. Have for many years. So far it has had no effect on the trees or crop that I can tell. I am moving to other roots and replanting in the same places. There isn't much else I can do since it's in my greenhouse. I'm not too worried since the fruit continues to be great.

o
RE: Found Crown Gall on Cherry Tree

Colt rootstock is notorious for crown gall. I would not plant cherry trees on Colt.

Here is some info:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r105100511.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here