Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
upstatesmp

Pruning Out of Control Pear Trees

upstatesmp
12 years ago

Hello:

I am new to the forum and new to pruning trees. My parent's have five acres in Upstate, NY that was once part of a prosperous homestead as far back as the 1700's. As such, there are many fruit trees and remains of fruit trees on the property. My question here is regarding two very tall pear trees that appear to be very healthy. Both produce an abundance of blossoms and fruit, and one produces the sweetest pears I have ever tasted (admittedly not a big pear consumer). The problem with both trees is that the pears don't get very large. I'll call them tree A and tree B. Tree A basically gets full sun and is the larger of the two. It is approximately 35' tall (rough estimate). Some of the branches are probably 15-20' long. It sits on a slight slope and on what likely was once the edge of an orchard. It produces hundreds of pears that never get bigger than a tennis ball (most not even close to that size), they are green and just barely approach a "traditional pear shape". Tree B, the one that produces the sweeter fruit, sits almost on the edge of a "cliff" overlooking a stream. It smaller than tree A, probably 25' tall and the branches are not as long. This tree produces probably about a hundred pears that seem to ripen in the beginning of October and as mentioned, if picked at the right time, are quite delicious. These pears turn a golden yellow and have a traditional pear shape but don't get very large.

What rudimentary knowledge I have of fruit trees tells me that the issues are likely due to the aforementioned abundance of blossoms and fruit. I guess my question is, if I am indeed correct in assuming these trees are just way to big, what can I do to bring these trees into a manageable size? I cannot reach the tops of the trees with a ladder (even if I wanted to) and the location of tree B makes it difficult to get very high at all on a ladder at all. I have access to pole saws but have never wanted to start making drastic cuts. I don't have photos of the trees but could provide some if that would help.

Can I cut the branches shorter? Can I cut the main stem of the tree shorter without hurting the tree? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for my "greenness."

Comments (9)

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

You can gradually reduce the size of the trees by bringing down about 10' a year cutting to a large branch each time (no stubs). You can also cut branches shorter. The only danger is if you cut too drastically you might encourage fireblight.

• upstatesmp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Harvestman. I have done some light pruning on the trees but nothing at all substantial. I will be taking a bit off this year though. What are your thoughts on when to prune? Am I right in thinking SOON here in the northeast? With the warm weather we have had things are going to be coming alive shortly I suspect. Thanks again.

• northwoodswis4
    12 years ago

I suspect the pears are varieties that get small fruit, and I doubt reducing the size of the tree is going to affect it that much. I've seen untended trees with large fruit, so there is more than just thinning and pruning involved in getting larger fruit.
    Northwoodswis

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

Seckel is common here in the northeast and is small and very sweet but thinning the fruit makes a huge difference. Won't get as big as a store bought Bosc but half that size anyway.

I've been pruning pears most of this winter because it's been so mild. Normally I wait until March for pears. I really don't know what the limit is as far as cold after pruning causing damage but the commercial growers around here follow the schedule I've noted.

• upstatesmp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. There are other pear trees on the property that are taller than the ones I mentioned, have no low branches (or really any branches except for the very top) and drop these very small (golf ball size or smaller)pears that are almost banana yellow in color. The deer make quick work of them.

Harvestman - I will probably do some pruning this weekend.
    Northwoods- Any other recommendations as to something I might try to improve the fruit in any way?

Thanks again!

• northwoodswis4
    12 years ago

I didn't mean to imply that thinning and pruning were useless practices, just that the variety has a lot to do with the size, too. We had a pear tree at our former house that I never pruned or thinned and it still got fairly large pears. Northwoodswis

• glib
    12 years ago

Yes, given the temperatures, prune now. Your only way to make bigger pears is to thin them, you can thin up to the point where you have 25 leaves per pear. The non-sweet pears may turn sweet if stored in the garage, and then left inside the house on the counter for 1-2 weeks. Experiment with them. Pears that do not have a true pear shape may be of the Comice type and are IMHO the best. Also, buy a good ladder.

• upstatesmp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great advice from everyone thanks. The one other characteristic that the pears have that I thought might have something to do with not reaching a full ripeness or size is a grittiness to the flesh.

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

Grittiness can be the result of allowing them to get ripe on the tree. Some varieties need to be picked hard-ripe and refrigerated for a few weeks and then softened at room temp. If that doesn't do the trick you may have a wild (seedling) pear.

It is tricky learning how to pick pears at the proper time- one reason to grow varieties that can ripen well on the tree.