Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Kiku apple

Tony
12 years ago

Does anyone grow this sport of fuji? I bought a bag at Costco and is it really sweet and crunchy and better than regular fuji. They advertise as the sweetest apple in the world.

Tony

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Well, I have a Red Fuji planted that I'm hoping to have apples on this year. Not sure if it's the as the red sport 'Kiku' Fuji, but I think there is only one red sport from Fuji?? It's a gamble for me, as the Fuji is 600 ch, and the Red Fuji is supposed to be a little higher. But, both trees look like they're getting ready to bud out, and looks like it will be at about the same time. My local nursery talked me into this apple, due to it's superior flavor over the regular Fuji, so I'm hoping for a little taste test this season, between Fuji and Red Fuji.

Patty S.

• Tony
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patty,

I google it and it saids a new sport of fuji. the fruit is red stipe and not totally red.

Tony

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Okay, did a little more research. What I have is the un-patented BC2 Red Fuji. The 'Kiku' Fuji was discovered by Luis Braun in 1990, an Italian fruit grower who was touring an orchard of Fuji apples in Japan, and noticed a branch on one tree had different-looking apples. He went on to propagate examples in Italy and eventually created the KIKU trademark. He applied for the USA patent in 2006, and was granted the patent in 2008. Haven't seen the 'Kiku' actually sold as a tree anywhere, though. It may be the the patent control is such that only select commercial growers may buy trees from the grower. That would not be surprising.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:64640}}

• jrm1504
    12 years ago

What Patty described is pretty accurate...

Here in WA, I'm not sure of anyone growing Kiku for the sake of growing Kiku. The way it works (commercially) is the owners of the Kiku trademark are trying to build awareness/market for Kiku. Then at harvest they try to have more control on the individual farmers growing and harvest technique. Then when it goes to be sold, the Kiku company gets a cut of the sale price.

There are many strains of fuji besides the Kiku and BC-2 that patty listed. As a little exercise, I will try and list as many as possible.

Nagafu 6
    Nagafu 12
    Dessert Rose
    Autumn Rose
    Banning Red
    Aztec
    Auvil Early
    Morning Mist
    September Wonder
    Top Export
    Myra

• murkwell
    12 years ago

I'm eating one right now and did a google search to come up with this thread.

I'd forgotten it was a sport of Fuji, and there was no mention of that on the marketing spiel they had posted by the apples. They just claim its the sweetest apple around and show a sweetness scale with maybe 10 or so different varieties on it with Kiku at the top and Granny Smith on the bottom.

The one I'm eating now is pretty bland, water, and generally sweet. I've had much more flavorful and syrupy Fujis in the past. I don't know how well this particular piece of fruit represents Kiku, but if this one and the one I had before were my only reference point I wouldn't buy them again.

I haven't found any good Fuji's this year in maybe a half dozen attempts. I also noticed that the Lady Alice apples which I've really liked in past years were less sweet and either tarter, blander or both.

I like sweet apples. I love a good Golden Russet or Aurora and Fujis can be great sometimes. I just don't seem able to find the good ones anymore.

It could be weather, or maybe they are all using a lot of water and nitrogen for big yields of huge and pretty apples with little flavor.

• Randy31513
    12 years ago

My Fuji put on apples for the first time last year albeit just a few. It was kind of odd, half were terrific and half were bland. They all got about the same amount of sun.

• davidguss
    11 years ago

Kiku Fuji is the marketing name for Fuji Brak strain. It is larger than Fuji. It is also sweeter and has better color, even in the shaded areas of the tree. The tree is more vigorous than Fuji. Trees are available from Adams County Nursery in Pennsylvania. It is best to buy it on M9 rootstock due to biennial bearing on more vigorous rootstocks. It can be purchased by backyard gardeners, but the fruit can not be sold under the Kiku brand.

• Biomed
    11 years ago

Davidguss. Have you order one? If yes, how big was the Kiku (Brak) they sent out? Thanks