Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape mulch for Apple tree

Posted by allhaileris 8b (sunset 14) (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 17:38

Can I use grape casings (I think that's what they are called) for mulch on my apple tree? We have two bags of them left by the previous tenant. I live in wine country where these are plentiful. They seem barky and small so I'm not sure if they're actually the discardings of wine production or shredded up vines (I'm thinking the latter).

I was able to prune most of the tree this weekend. Not sure if I should get the branches that go straight up from the main branches, but I also assume I shouldn't prune too much at a time. A website with really easy instructions would be great, and I'm sure if I spent more time on this site I'll find it. I mostly just need to know about the grape whatever it is as mulch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape mulch for Apple tree

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 20:09

I'm interested to see what others say on this. I don't see any problem with it- I recently chopped up my grape vine prunings to about 8" long and spread them under a couple pear trees (on top of the wood chips).

Thinking about it now, I wonder if the black rot which strikes grapes could cause any problems for apples or pears. I didn't have much of that this year, as I bagged most of my grapes. So they were safe (from black rot at least), until animals ripped through the bags and ate them all.

o
RE: Grape mulch for Apple tree

My vines do have powdery mildew, but I don't think these came from my vines, I think they came from a vineyard which would have sprayed to avoid this. The fact that I already have powdery mildew in the yard I think is bad enough (I have to do something about it this spring), it affected my corn, squash and artichoke late in the growing season last year (the artichoke lost those leaves and looks great now). The material I have is very small, probably 1" long by 1/8" wide. It was put out in the front yard and used as mulch for some flowers before I moved in, and none of those were affected by any rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here