Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafted Carmine Jewel

Posted by Bradybb wa8 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 17:43

All the reading that I've done refers to Carmine Jewel Cherry being sold,growing on it's own roots.
I pre-ordered one from a local nursery and picked it up yesterday,to find out that it's on Gisela rootstock.
I want to grow it as a bush and am not sure what kind of growth it's going to have.
Does anyone else have one of these grafted versions?I'm interested in how they turn out. Thanks,Brady

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafted Carmine Jewel

That's really interesting Brady, I ordered one for this spring also and am planning on growing it as a shrub. I wonder how easy they are to propagate through layering or cuttings.
You might consider planting it deep enough that the graft is well buried so that it can root. Then maybe the suckers would be from the carmine jewel.

o
RE: Grafted Carmine Jewel

People keep mentioning about evans having the same thing done to them. since both are bred to be frown in the north maybe grqfting on mazzard or others makes it possible to grow them further south..... it does eliminate the trees natural small size though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here