Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting figs

Posted by insteng none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 17:45

I have a really old fig tree at my house in the country. I was wanting to try to get some more started so I cut off 3 small branches about a month ago. I just stuck them in an old pot I had with potting soil. I just forgot about them and just let them get watered by whatever rain we had. This last weekend I went up there and checked on them and all three were sprouting leaves and two of them had small figs on them. I'm going to try to start some pomergranites hopefully they will be just as easy to start.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting figs

I would take those figs off. Just because there are leaves does not mean there are roots yet. The leaves are a good sign though. Figs root really easily. Poms are almost as easy.

o

'strikes easily from cuttings' is one of the reasons figs were one of the first domesticated plants.

Poms should do pretty well also. I've just started pom and fig cuttings myself.

o

The figs are the size of small peas right now. Next time I go up there in a couple weeks I will pick them off. I mainly planted them to see what they would do. The original tree is probably around 12' in diameter spread out so I have plenty of figs from it.

o

I also have a fig bush but in zone 7 here it often ( as this year) will freeze to the ground but always grows back up each spring & bears figs. Friends would like a start of mine & I was wondering if I could cut off a viable cane & stick it in the ground to root (many of the canes right now may have frozen)? I will try it now! I had a (large)fig root wandering where I didn't want it so I cut it off & noticed the long root had hairy roots grrowing along the underside. I cut the large 3 ft. root into several pieces each with some of the hairy roots & place them in a bucket of water until I could give them away & plant. Should they be planted right away instead in the ground & give them away later? I have three very old 'Wonderful' pomegranate bushes & also have neighbors that would like a start of them ... can I just snip off one of the newer branches & stick them in the ground also?

I love to share! Wish I had good luck trying to grow cuttings of my old, huge, beautiful 'Gardens of The World' rose bush though!

o

Figs, poms and grapes can often be rooted by just sticking a cutting in the ground and watering occasionally, but your success rate will improve if you mix in a good bit of peat moss or humus and keep them in a humid environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here