Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chayote plant characteristics

Posted by JimR441 none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 17:59

Two years ago I purchased a chayote which had started to sprout, and planted it in the garden. This year I haven't been taking good care of that area and the vine has taken off, growing up into the cypress trees over the garden. It looks very healthy and this year has at least two fruit -- but the fruit, while they have the shape and color of a market chayote, are covered with short, sharp spines.

This is the first time we've gotten fruit from the chayote so we don't know what to expect, and I haven't seen any assistance on the internet.

Can you tell -- will the spines fall off leaving a smooth skin? Is this the type of fruit we're going to get? Should we cut these when they're ripe and peel the skin off? - - and how can we tell when they're ripe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chayote plant characteristics

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 10:09

When they are ripe you can score the skin with your fingernail. Many chayote are spiny, you must have had a hybrid that is now showing daddy's genes. edibility is not affected except they are more painful to peel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here