Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoseman_gw

Goldrush Apple Question

hoseman
11 years ago

I planted two goldrush trees over the last few years and was able to pick a few last fall. The literature states that they improve with storage. Well, they have been in storage since last October and I am still waiting for the improvement. They are hard and have no taste. I put these trees in to supplement my Arkansas Blacks for fresh apples to get me through the Spring until other fresh fruit is available in my orchard and garden.

I hoping someone has grown goldrush and can give me their impression of this apple.

Comments (15)

• johnthecook
    11 years ago

I had 10 Goldrush off my 2 year old tree and they were as described. I liked them right off the tree with a good balance for my tastebuds. I hope in the next few years to save a few, but I usually give my crops away.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Did you pick them unripe, or was the tree under thinned? I have a few GR in my fridge and I ate one last week which was very tasty. They need to be picked when they get to dark yellow, not light yellow. You could also have the wrong variety. They soften a lot over time so the hardness makes no sense to me.

Scott

• hoseman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott

I picked them on September 29 and as you know we were about three weeks early on everything this year. I may have picked them too early. I know with my macouns it took about 3 years to pick them at the right time for flavor and storage. Actually, I found a macoun today in the apple cooler and it was still crisp and had a good flavor. I try to pick the apples that I put in storage a little early and it takes some trial and error. I knew at the time I picked the Goldrush they were hard, but I don't recall them not having any flavor.
    But, you answered my question in that they can be a good apple. I have learned when to pick my Arkansas Black for storage and have had them into the summer. I am hoping to supplement them with another variety and looked forward to the Goldrush.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Sacrifice one to check the condition of the seeds. The seed coat should be dark brown. If pale-colored, they were harvested too soon.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Were they yellow or green when you picked them? Did you thin the fruit?

Goldrush should achieve good size and I consider it ripe when it turns to yellow and much of the fruit has a red blush.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Hoseman, I don't know where you are but thats several weeks before I was picking mine. Usually its late October and it was more like middle October for me this year.

Scott

• glib
    11 years ago

Yes, late September looks awfully early. In 6A they suggest as late as possible, which can be Nov. 15. Northern Spy is Oct. 25 here, and it is still weeks before Goldrush.

• tedgrowsit
    11 years ago

I actually left one apple on the tree to pick Christmas day. It was a bit watery, but overall still a very tasty, delicious apple. It sounds like they were picked significantly too early. These apples are totally delightful right now. We bought some at a local orchard a couple of weeks ago. They are intensely sweet and pungently tart all at the same time. Better success next year. Ted

• hoseman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,

Just across the Potomac River in Virginia from Southern Maryland. I see now that I picked too early. Unfortunately, I did not make notes the day I picked except note what was picked that day. I do recall the European hornets were giving them fits and I did not want to spray so I picked. I did not want to lose my first crop. I wil make sure this year I do not repeat that mistake.

tedgrowsit

I have picked an occasional granny smith or Ark Black late December that I missed during picking. Sometimes they were good eating. I am heading up to PA in a few days, I will try to find some Goldrush. Some of the biggest and best Stayman I have eaten came form PA.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

If you attach a couple of yellow jacket traps to tree at very first sign of damage you will probably be able to adequately protect fruit.

I use the victor reuseables and refill with 1/3 chinese apple concentrate to water with a little citric acid and touch of detergent.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

I also had a huge hornet problem on both my GoldRush and my figs. Looks like I'll be trap shopping.. in past years the damage was small enough that I figured it was OK to share. Also I am always edgy picking fruit with a bunch of those big guys around, one bit my daughter and based on how long she screamed and cried they must really hurt.

Scott

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

The bigger white faced, dark bodied wasps really pack some poison and here they are usually in the mix.

Some times they get really aggressive and try to drive you from the tree.

• hoseman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Harvestman

I'll look into those traps. I picked some of my fruit at night, after 9:00 pm to avoid the hornets last year. It wasn't a lot of fun picking at night, I have wire obstacles around all my trees outside the electric fence to keep the deer damage to a minimum.

The bald face hornets have stung me a few times and it did hurt , but the ones I really feared were the European hornets. Last year I got stung by one and will pick at night from now on if I have to. Spraying with Sevin has no affect on them.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Hoseman, my European hornets don't sleep. They are also attracted to light and they freaked me out when I was picking my figs last summer at night - I thought they were attacking me but they were just flying at the light on my headlamp. Scary!

Scott

• hoseman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,

I know what you mean as I have had them hit the glass door to my deck at night as I have a reading light beside the door. But, I did not have a problem with them picking at night. I like the idea of the headlamp.