Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to graft apples ?

Posted by berry_Bob 5 se,SD (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 18:14

What is the best time to graft apples in zone 5 ?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to graft apples ?

When you see buds pushing it's the time of start, then you're good for about another month, using dormant material.

o

Bob, if you are new to grafting you should also try some summer grafting (budding). In Zone 5 you will do this in August, with buds collected immediately before you graft. I have had good success with this method. Of course, with apples, almost any method works.

Marc

o

Here, in SE NY, I tend to get the very best results from grafts I place on trees just before they start growth. I seems that the closer the growth of the graft and tree coincides the more growth one gets from the graft, all other factors being equal.

The relative vigor of the tree being grafted to is equally important. I no longer graft onto trees transplanted after previous growing season.

o

In zone 5 Kansas we make sure the scion wood is collected and kept dormant in the fridge until the sap starts to move and buds start swelling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here