Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple trees

Posted by insteng none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:19

We have a place a couple hours south of Dallas and we went to a local nursery this weekend to pick up a couple apple trees. They had the Anna which we wanted but they were sold out of everything else but the Red Delicous. Will it be a good pollinator for the Anna? I heard the Red Delicous will usually only produce every couple years here due to the chill factor. We plan on getting a few more apple trees later which should do better in the area. Should we try to find another tree to plant this year to go with the Anna? Space is not a problem since we have over 50 acres we can plant on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple trees

Red Delicioius blossoms way too late for Anna and is lousy in your climate. Dorsett Golden and Shell of Alabama are the correct pollinators. It sounds like your local nursery sadly will not be familiar with apple trees suited for your climate; google "apple trees for a warm climate" to see better sources.

o

Yes that is what I thought. We were looking for a Golden Dorset the nursery had several but they said they sold out of them. I want to also get a Fuji, Gala, and a couple more varities. I might have to order them. There is a nursery close by that carries them I can order them from and have them shipped. At least I have plenty of room to plant as many as I want.

o

I found a Golden Dorsett, and a Pink Lady last night at another nursery. So I should be covered this year for the pollinators for the Anna.

o

the dorsett will polinate the Anna. The Pink Lady is self-fruitful, but would produce more with its own pollinator.

Fuji is a good cross pollinator with Pink Lady.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here