Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double grafted apple tree

Posted by ryan89 6b massachusetts (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 18:44

I am interested in a stark double delicious apple tree. It has golden delicious and red delicious on one root stock. Has anyone had exsperience with multi grafted apple trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double grafted apple tree

I have a 4-in-1 apple (anna, golden dorsett, gordon, and fuji) and the tree is not equally vigorous. Anna and golden dorsett grow way faster than the other two. Tbh the other two trees leafed out about 4 months after anna and golden dorsett. Red delicious variety is not a great apple imo. There are far better tasting apples out there. If you are trying to get a 2-in-1 apple simply because of space, I would instead do a multiple planting check out dave wilson nursery youtube page on multiple planting and pruning trees for a backyard orchard.

o

It is not due to space. Just wanted to try out a double grafted apple. I will look into other varietys. I am new to growing fruit trees i have a peach and pear tree. I will look into different varietys of apples. Thanks for the info

o

Ryan,

My first apple tree was a 3 in 1 (Golden Delicious, Melrose and Summerred). I knew nothing about growing fruit tree then.

I let it grow and found out after a few years that GD was a lot more vigorous than the other two. The graft took over resulting in the tree being lopesided. The other two did not do well.

Things you need to know is how vigorous each graft is and how to prune each to keep the tree balanced. Knowing its rootstock is helpful, too.

I would not mind having a multi-grafted tree now but not when I knew nothing about it.

I personally do not like close planting the way Dave Wilson suggests. This topic has been discussed over and over. There are proponents and opponents to it. If you search this forum, you'll learn a lot more about it and many other things concerning growing fruit trees.

This forum is really helpful to me and contributors are great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here