Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Pruning Plan on 2 & 3 year olds

Posted by blackrag 6A (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 18:45

As described repeatedly in this forum by others, I too, have been addictively adding trees to my small orchard. While a percentage of the trees were "allowed" to bear their first few pieces of fruit last season, I am anticipating the first real "harvest" out of about half of my 50 + trees. I have watched YouTube videos, searched this forum, re-read the Extention literature and Harvestman's writings until "worn-eared".

After picking scaffolds in each of their first year, stone fruits in open center, apples and pears in the central leader method, I have trained, late winter pruned, spring pruned, summer pruned, limbs pulled down with twine, ropes, plastic braces, wood braces, weights, etc..

My question at this stage is this-
While the stone fruits have alot of "tertiary" branching, my pomes, specifically apples, don't really have that many established. The scaffolds are mostly less than 1/2 the size of the trunk. I have decided to limit the height of the tree to 3 tiers. So, is there a rule of thumb at this age of tree to head back the scaffolds? 1/4? 1/3? 1/2? Thanks. Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Pruning Plan on 2 & 3 year olds

There's no rule of thumb but if branches are gangly heading can be helpful, but you should wait until about bloom to get best reaction as far as secondary branching further back on the branch. You will still probably get most growth at point of pinch or cut and all but straightest shoot (in terms of continuing direction of branch) need to be pinched back during the growing season to assure apical dominance of shoot going in the right direction to lead.

Cut about a third back of last years growth.

With many varieties you can hold onto a lot of extra scaffolds until tree starts really bearing to compensate for early lack of secondaries. Branches will often fill out later and you remove excess branches as they crowd. This doesn't seem to work so well for Fuji from my observation. Seems to postpone fruiting if you don't get lots of sun into the tree for this variety.

o
RE: Spring Pruning Plan on 2 & 3 year olds

I understand. Thanks Again. Chad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here