Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry Trellis

Posted by jbraun 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 18:47

I just put up a trellis for some trailing type blackberry last fall. They are thornless and I don't know the variety. I was reading a thread and noticed that a couple of growers tensioned their wires. I didn't do that with mine. Will that cause me problems later on? If it will I can change my set up early next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry Trellis

Well if it does you can easily add the type I use. Mine are spliced in. You have to cut the wire to add them. I also have a raspberry trellis with no wire tensions devices on it.
Raspberries really don't add weight to the trellis, but blackberries will, so it may sag. If not leave it!
A link to what i use...

Here is a link that might be useful: In-Line Wire Tightener

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 20:00

o

Thanks for the link Drew. Good price!

o

What I would do if you decide to use them is unlatch the wire, gently set it on the ground, let the canes go down without breaking them if possible. And go in a few feet cut the wire and add. You need to "reel in a few inches to make sure the device is working and not slipping. They work good, are heavy duty as you can get. Easy to put on backwards, so reel a little in to see how it works. Mine look a little sloppy, but are fully functional and have removed all slack out of a 24 foot wire!! My poles are bent from the tension!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 20:12

o

why not use a golden rod fence stretcher then you won't need to drop it and take a chance of breaking any canes

o

"why not use a golden rod fence stretcher"

$50.00 Vs. $3.00? That's a good reason not to use it.

If you had a 2nd person, they could hold the wire up while you installed the 3 dollar device.

o

I just meant to hold the wire tight till they get the buckle put in place

o

Cool device no doubt, OK, yeah that would work if you had one! He might not even need it. I have put up a few wires very tight that don't have these tighteners. I'm not sure it's even needed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here