Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahajmano

My ever expanding collection

ahajmano
11 years ago

Check out the spreadsheet! everything is its first year in the ground.

Mission Viejo, CA

Comments (8)

• ahajmano
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Wow, is this a private orchard, or a 'pick your own'? If it is private, what will you with all of the fruit? Very impressive.

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

I feel dizzy....are you growing all that?

• ahajmano
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, its just my own personal orchard in my backyard. All close spacings and multiple plantings.

Most of the deciduous trees are on a 16' X 115' south facing hillside. I am working on a to-scale planting diagram on excel and will post when I am done.

Hmm...what am I going to do with it all....I have not really thought about that. haha

Well I only planted stuff I enjoy, so I believe I will eat most of it. The rest will go to family and friends.

With the exception of a few items (bananas, figs, sapote avocado and mulberry), most of it will be kept under 8' by summer pruning.

I expect to take meticulous notes on each fruit so I can provide some empirical data from my particular climate.

If anyone has particular experiences with any of the varieties I am growing, please do share.

• murkwell
    11 years ago

I love it, but it is hard to read, text is fuzzy. Is there a way you can share the original document?

I kept a spreadsheet of all my varieties for a few years, but it completely out of date and I've since moved. I'd like to make one with a chart for my new house.

Perhaps I will borrow some of your formatting if you don't mind.

• ahajmano
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let's try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ppeqszvtc8py8u1

Does that work? If so, I can upload my site plan layout as well.

Keep in mind these are all theoretical values right now. I will gather actual empirical data this year and the next.

• murkwell
    11 years ago

Yes, that did work. Hopefully I didn't get any viruses or malware.

Very nice. Where did you get all the ripening dates?

I grafted Beauty to my young Howard Miracle plum maybe 3 years ago. The Beauty has set a decent load of fruit, but the Howard Miracle near nothing.

• ahajmano
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hmm, i would think you have the chill hours, so not sure why. I do know beauty and santa rosa typically set heavy.

I got the ripening dates from Dave Wilson, and where not available, from L E Cooke.

The only muilti-grafts I have are 4 in 1 asian pear and sweet cherry.

The asian pear, because I am not sure if I like them, and the cherry because I don't think I have the winter chill for a few of the varieties.

I will take pictures tonight. Below is the link to the layout. Work in progress, I have more planted than just these.

http://www.mediafire.com/?289h5431nezi4z4

1 square = 1 square foot. Spacing is based on desired size of each tree/plant. The bramble patch has a 3-dimensional 4-wire catch trellis.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!