Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My ever expanding collection

Posted by ahajmano Sunset 23 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 18:53

Check out the spreadsheet! everything is its first year in the ground.

Mission Viejo, CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My ever expanding collection

more

o

Wow, is this a private orchard, or a 'pick your own'? If it is private, what will you with all of the fruit? Very impressive.

o

I feel dizzy....are you growing all that?

o

Yes, its just my own personal orchard in my backyard. All close spacings and multiple plantings.

Most of the deciduous trees are on a 16' X 115' south facing hillside. I am working on a to-scale planting diagram on excel and will post when I am done.

Hmm...what am I going to do with it all....I have not really thought about that. haha

Well I only planted stuff I enjoy, so I believe I will eat most of it. The rest will go to family and friends.

With the exception of a few items (bananas, figs, sapote avocado and mulberry), most of it will be kept under 8' by summer pruning.

I expect to take meticulous notes on each fruit so I can provide some empirical data from my particular climate.

If anyone has particular experiences with any of the varieties I am growing, please do share.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 1:45

I love it, but it is hard to read, text is fuzzy. Is there a way you can share the original document?

I kept a spreadsheet of all my varieties for a few years, but it completely out of date and I've since moved. I'd like to make one with a chart for my new house.

Perhaps I will borrow some of your formatting if you don't mind.

o

Let's try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ppeqszvtc8py8u1

Does that work? If so, I can upload my site plan layout as well.

Keep in mind these are all theoretical values right now. I will gather actual empirical data this year and the next.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 18:46

Yes, that did work. Hopefully I didn't get any viruses or malware.

Very nice. Where did you get all the ripening dates?

I grafted Beauty to my young Howard Miracle plum maybe 3 years ago. The Beauty has set a decent load of fruit, but the Howard Miracle near nothing.

o

hmm, i would think you have the chill hours, so not sure why. I do know beauty and santa rosa typically set heavy.

I got the ripening dates from Dave Wilson, and where not available, from L E Cooke.

The only muilti-grafts I have are 4 in 1 asian pear and sweet cherry.

The asian pear, because I am not sure if I like them, and the cherry because I don't think I have the winter chill for a few of the varieties.

I will take pictures tonight. Below is the link to the layout. Work in progress, I have more planted than just these.

http://www.mediafire.com/?289h5431nezi4z4

1 square = 1 square foot. Spacing is based on desired size of each tree/plant. The bramble patch has a 3-dimensional 4-wire catch trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here