Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanicat

Rabbit Eye and Highbush Blueberries Crosspollinate/

botanicat
15 years ago

I have heard that the highbush blueberries are self-fertile but will produce better with 2 varieties. I am wondering if rabbit eye berries such at Tifblue and Premier would serve to pollinate them or does it need to be another highbush. Also, the Jersey high bush I just bought is supposed to be late producing so would the timing be an issue. Other varieties I already have are Tifblue and Premier for sure and possibly other rabbit eye types.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

Actually, rabbit eye blueberries can only be pollinated by rabbit eye blueberries, and it is highly recommended that you have THREE varieties that all bloom at the same time for good pollination, or they tend to have poor fruit set.

And highbush blueberries apparently need to be pollinated by highbush blueberries, also varieties that bloom at the same time.

So, if you have both types, you'll need two pollinators for the rabbit eye and at least one for the highbush. And if your multiple varieties of the same type don't bloom at the same time so the pollen will mix, it will be the same as having NO pollinators.

Below is some info that may be useful.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbiteye info from U of Georgia

• botanicat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I must be doing okay on varieties on the rabbiteye berries as we have had pretty good crops on those. However, I did add a new one this year, the Tifbue, which is midseason, so now I suppose I should go get another midseason variety, since the others are early. Also, since the two new highbush ones I added are Bluecrop and Jersey, midseason and late, I need two more plant varieties. The size of my blueberry patch is going to be growing quite a lot. Any chance those two would still pollinate each other?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    15 years ago

It's not when they mature that matters it's when they bloom. There may be little correlation between the two. My southern highbush don't need any pollination to set every fruit. Maybe the fruit would be bigger if they were pollinated, but I haven't had the conditions to tell.

Most bb bloom over a pretty long period. I'd bet you'll get a pretty good crop just with what you have.

The Fruitnut

• botanicat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Sue and Fruitnut. I think I will just put out what I have and see how it goes. Maybe add one of the southern highbush plants if I see a good one.

• the_gurgler
    15 years ago

I'm no expert, but according to Wikipedia

Rabbiteye Blueberry == Southern Highbush

So, they are the same thing. That wasn't clear from the responses that I read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbiteye Blueberry on Wikipedia

• botanicat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The several sources I read said the southern highbush is a cross between the rabbiteye and the N. highbush. They do very well in drought and high heat and are fairly new introductions. Varieties mentioned as good ones include Misty, O'Neal and some others. These are two of the varieties I noticed that the Lowe's carries here.

• tc88
    15 years ago

Well, if you click on the wiki page of blueberry, it clearly states that Rabbiteye and Southern Highbush are different, and I believe that page is more correct.

For breeding purpose, I'm pretty sure crosses have been made between Rabbiteye and Northern/Southern Highbush. Buf it you are going to get a Rabbiteye, you should get another one of a different variety, since a Rabbiteye generally needs another Rabbiteye for its own pollination. And they better flower at similar time too.

• Capritta Roberts
    last year

What about southern livings new hybrid (southern Highbush-rabbit eye) I’ve been trying to figure out what it will cross pollinate with as this one has left me confused. Some sites talk about rabbit eye and others southern Highbush….

• Capritta Roberts
    last year

It’s called hello darlin . And it says “Highbush-rabbiteye hybrid”

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions