Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree Scaffolds

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 19:01

I have a tropic snow peach tree I put in a 25 gallon pot and have a few questions. I will post a few picks so you can see what I'm talking about. When I bought the tree it was long whip with several branches. In mid jan after potting up to 25gallon I cut the whip and left 5 branches with several buds so I could get a few peaches this spring. Problem is one side of the tree doesn't have any branches on it. There is branch on that side that was cut before I purchased it and it's in a perfect spot to have a scaffold. Where that branch was flush with the main stalk it's sending out 2 leaf nodes on either side of the cut branch. Will these leaf nodes turn into scaffold branches? Here's the pic.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here's another pic of where they fit onto the tree

I will prune out the 2 lower branches in that pic and go with 4 scaffolds. Or I could just go with 3 scaffolds but one of them needs to be where those 2 leaf nodes are sprouting for it to be even. What should I do? The first branch is 3 ft from the potting soil and I was even thinking about topping the plant 1 ft above the potting soil to start over and it would also control the height a little bit better. What to do???

Here are a few other pics of the tree to give you a better idea
This is the tree when I bought it.

Here it is after prunning after potting up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree Scaffolds

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 19:41

Those two sprouts will make fine scaffolds. I'd probably let them both grow but have often removed one. The advantage of two is it would give more options down the road if/when you need to do some renewal pruning.

Other than that the tree looks fine in it's current form. I've just grown mine as bushes. No need for an open vase or any other special shape. The trees in a pot don't get big enough to worry about shape or shading.

o
RE: Peach Tree Scaffolds

Cool, thanks for the info Fruitnut. How big would you expect a peach to get in a 25 gallon pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here