Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Sumo (Dekomon) Mandarin Tree Availability?

Interesting topic over on the California Gardening Forum about this new mandarin that has made its way over to the United States. Wondering if anyone knows if hobbiest gardeners yet have the ability to purchase a tree for their backyard? I know that they are available for orchardists from the Suntreat and TreeSource companies, but can't seem to find a nursery that has this tree available. Does anyone know of a source for the trees that will ship to California (or available in California)? I would surely love to plant one of these wonderful mandarins in my yard!

Patty S.

Comments (81)

• fotoboi913
    8 years ago
    Ok I've got 5 dwarf fruit trees in Very large containers. I need to sell these. All tress are 5 years old and all have produced fruit. They just need to go in the ground
    Stella Cherry,Fuji Apple,Plum,Pear,Pear,Blood Orange
    Buy a tree and get a? -------------
    You fill in the blank ok let's see what response we get
  • fotoboi913
    8 years ago
    I can give away any plant I want is that correct?
  • Gerry Flores
    8 years ago

Hi. Is this a Sumo? Please call me at 310-251-2046 or email me directly (mobilefax@yahoo.com). Thanks.

• fotoboi913
    8 years ago
    Here they are
  • Gerry Flores
    8 years ago

Wow. Awesome. Are you gonna call or email me or give me your contact information? Please advise. Thanks,gerry

• jtf_farms
    8 years ago

Fotoboi913

I too would like to purchase a sumo. Please let me know if they are still available.

Thanks,

Todd

jtf_farms@yahoo.com

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, you can't sell stuff on GardenWeb, first off. Against the TOS. Also, you have to be VERY careful about purchasing citrus then moving them out of their area in California, as we are under a very, very serious quarantine. So, fotoboi needs to GIVE his citrus trees away only to folks in his general vicinity. Otherwise, he would putting himself and the recipients of his trees in some hot water with the CDFA. We are under quarantine not only for the Asian Citrus Psyllid, but now also for Citrus Greening.

• Gerry Flores
    8 years ago

Ok. Just been waiting for fotoboi913 to contact me. Cheers,gerry

• Kevin Reilly
    8 years ago

He would have better luck putting them local on Craigslist. Strange how he ignored all your posts Gerry...

• kolhawaii
    7 years ago

I live in Hawaii and im sure that I cannot import a tree. But most citrus grow beautifully here and I would love to get a couple seeds. Recognizing that it's illegal to sell propagules, we could work out a trade.

• michael3146
    7 years ago

• michael3146
    7 years ago

• rxmoss
    7 years ago

Has anyone had success growing this mandarin in Southern Cal, or is it too early to tell? I would love to get this growing in my backyard.

• pip313
    7 years ago

No one can legally ship to California.

• Shelly Thees
    7 years ago

Does anyone know where you can get a sumo tree ? I would love to grow one. Or if anyone has seeds ? I have bought a ton of the oranges and no seeds yet ! They are my favorite oranges

• Gerry Flores
    7 years ago

Great job on that graft. It looks really good. Keep us all updated on its progress. Cheers.

• cwlucking
    7 years ago

Little tougher in Arizona - they'll ship but it's fifty bucks (on top of purchasing the budwood).

• manolis89
    6 years ago

GoodMorning from Greece ! I am an agronomist and i want to grow one Sumo Citrus tree because i have a passion with genus citrus . Do you know a way that i can order from usa some sumo seeds ?! Or if you have other suggestions i am here to listen us. Thank you !

• Tuan California
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ca residents... just order budwoods from ccpp and you will have a tree in no time. I got a few trees now and other friends from gardenweb that I met outside.

Grafted 6-6-17

Grafted 4-27-17

Grafted 3-25-17 around 3 ft.

and I just pruned back small branches.

• Gerry Flores
    6 years ago

Hi Tuan. Those look awesome. I grafted 6 in April and had no luck. Did i do something wrong? would you be interested in swapping a tree for one of my other trees? I am in West Hollywood. Please let me know. thank u.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Gerry, you can't swap trees if you're outside of your very small geographical area, due to the quarantines within the state of California. Just order budwood and graft your own as Tuan says, you'll have you own clean tree, then. Manolis, Dekopon/Shiranui seeds will not grow true to the cultivar, but will be some unknown hybrid. So, no worth getting seeds.

• Gerry Flores
    6 years ago

Thank u. But i live very close to Tuan.

• manolis89
    6 years ago

Thank you very much for your fast answers ! I just made an account in CCPP and i wait to be ready to sign in and order !

• rjcantor
    6 years ago

I'm not seeing any of the names listed here on the CCPP Mandarin website. Would someone tell me what name they have it under? Thanks.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Last one on the Screenhouse list, Shiranui Mandarin.

• Tuan California
    6 years ago

T-bud grafted last yr end of march and now flowering for the first time shiranui/ dekopon in California. I hope I will get 1 fruit this yr for the taste

• theniceguy
    6 years ago

I just picked up a Dekapon (right), and it’s parent trees, Ponkan (left) and Kiyomi (center) at a clearance sale for 5$ each!

• HU-531220667
    5 years ago

Hey Niceguy, did that dekapon survive? it looked like it needed water bad. Anyone get any fruit from their trees yet? any pics?

• theniceguy
    5 years ago

Yes it’s doing good. No fruit this year. But the Ponkan has 2 nice looking fruit just turning color now. Look a lot like dekapon.

• Gerry Flores
    5 years ago

Just curious, where do u live? Asking because u said u were able to find these for purchase. Thanks.

• Shelly Thees
    5 years ago

Hello ! I obtained a few seeds from Sumo oranges I bought (unbelievable I must say ) . i actually have gotten them to start to germinate. Any information for planting would be helpful !

• Hana Chen
    5 years ago

Hey theniceguy! Do you mind sharing where you bought the trees? We looked everywhere and ate quite a few sumo oranges, but still no luck. Thank you!

• mohanas
    4 years ago

Hello, I live in SF Bay Area and would like to if there is any availability of Sumo Citrus plant or seeds. Pl. let me know.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago
    I have tried Sumos 3 times and all 3 were OK to Meh???!!! 2 were Farmers market and one was supermarket, so there was a variety of growing conditions.
    Why is everyone clamoring to grow these?
    Carla in Sac
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carla, I have two Dekopon trees and the mandarins were good,to very good, but not what I would categorize as "outstanding". I think Ponkan, one of the parents, is much better. Seedless Kishu probably the best of the loose-skinned mandarins, and Page mandarin x still #1 in my backyard.

• michael3146
    4 years ago

If you want one of these trees contact me at sales@beachviewpalms.com

have a great day

• HU-266030568
    4 years ago

Hi there

tried sending email to you but

your email address is invalid??

• Shelly Thees
    4 years ago

Hello , my email is calrner@aol.com .

• Shelly Thees
    4 years ago

I’m looking to buy these trees . my seedlings I transplanted didn’t make it. Will try again if I get seeds this year.

• Patti Yamamito
    4 years ago

Hi Shelly,

Did you have any luck purchasing the trees? I can find them anywhere.

As the years go by, I find more seeds in the Sumos I purchase from the store. The fruit doesn’t seem as sweet as I remember.

• Candice Hall
    3 years ago

Im looking for a sumo tree. Where would I find one? live in florida

• Shelly Thees
    3 years ago

Good luck. We are all looking for them 😞

• Sa Gama
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Any recent Sumo / Dekopon availability in the San Diego area? Would love to grow a small bush with this fruit. Or Ponkan for that matter. TIA!

Original Author
    3 years ago

@sa gama, check Walter Andersen Nurseries in both San Diego and Poway for Ponkan. If you're up to grafting, you can can Shiranui budwood from UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection Budwood folks. I personally think Ponkan (the mother tree of the Dekopon) is a better tasting fruit.

• Vicki Regalado
    3 years ago

Someone puleeze tell me where I can get a dekopon or ponkan in SoCal.

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Try calling Walter Andersen Nursery in Poway, CA to see if they still have Ponkan mandarin in stock. That's where I bought mine several years ago. Not sure if Dekopon (Shiranui) is available in CA, but you could always try to graft by requesting clean budwood from CCPM. Nature Hills did have Shiranui at one time, looks like they're out of stock. You can put your name on their wait list: https://www.naturehills.com/shiranui-mandarin

• rich wong
    last year

Trees Outlet have many sumo or Shiranui mandarin of different sizes ($65 to 350) and thousands of other citrus as well in Sacramento, Ca. 916 254 8789.