Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow damage on bush fruits, ideas to protect?

Posted by fireweed22 none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 19:39

We receive a lot of snow over winter, there is often 3' deep snow on the ground.

When weather warms, that 3' compacts and rips off any lower branches on young fruit trees so I always clip them off before snow flies.

My issue is blueberries, gooseberries, currents etc etc etc. First winter they were fine being so small. This year I tried to pull snow away from their bases. Over 100 plants so huge job. The snow has just melted back quite a bit and there is still tons of damage. Both broken tips, and big branches from the base.

Any other ideas? This alone will take away probably 20% of the harvest, so, I need to work something out!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow damage on bush fruits, ideas to protect?

Our forum friends from Canada should be able to help you out with this problem. Where do you live in Canada?

o

Youre forgetting the Minnesotans MrsG lol

Up here we receive "reliable" snow falls of 3 feet. The record snowfall in a day is 6 feet.

I havnt noticed any major damage due to snow. The only places I have problems are where the eves dont have an end, or where there are none at all (basically heavy falling rain and ice). To be fair, a good portion of my plants and trees are new.

o

It would be good if you update your page with zone and where you live.

I think heaving snow is better then none,..even with some of the drawbacks.

100 shrubs is not that many to knock the snow off,.. take a broom. I have much worse damage from moose.

o

I've found the heaving snow causes plenty of damage, I've had many small fruit trees damaged. Even this year the snow was deeper than I had expected and lost small branches just over 3' from the ground.

Yes coming home from work in the dark to shovel around the 100+ bushes by flashlight to be serious stuff and hoped there was a trick. Looking forward for taller growth and may end up staking each and tying up for winter in coming years.

Consider electric fencing for your moose... ground + positive real close together.

o

Are you heaving leaves on your plants? This would make it worse. I don't think you need to shovel, just shaking and staking when small.

>>rips off any lower branches on young fruit trees <<

Are you talking about apple trees?

I don't want to fence, love the wildlife,..my motto, grow more for nature and me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here