Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

How much snow did you get?

mrsg47
11 years ago

Newport, RI is really being hit by the storm, however, our proximity to the ocean and warmer temps after it passes should melt the accumulation quickly. By 6:30pm we had at least seven inches of snow. We're supposed to get 10" to one foot. Hope the branches on my trees don't break; the snow is wet, heavy and it will only ice over night. Ugh. Mrs. G

PS. . . it is beautiful though. Will take some pics tomorrow

Comments (20)

• ltilton
    11 years ago

We were on the rain side of the line, got 1.3 inches, badly needed.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

None

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bamboo you're too funny. Come north and see some of this incredible white stuff.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

I grew up in NW PA I am very familiar with that white stuff:) Lake effect snows you can keep.......it will be 80 here today I like that much better.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Here in the Carmel, NY area we got around a foot. First meaningful snow, besides the freak Oct-fest last year, in two seasons. I usually shovel my 120' driveway but am too tired from wrestling with 100 year + old apple trees (true giants). Actually got almost a cord of firewood from 3 of the trees and they are still quite full. Still need to empty my truck.

Just called my plow guy for the first time in a few years.

I find the snow beautiful and comforting from my warm house with the apple wood (last years) keeping us toasty inside.

• ericwi
    11 years ago

The same storm was in Madison this week, and we got about 5 or 6 inches. The total is debatable because we had snow, sleet, and even some rainfall, at various times.

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

We got 2 cute little inches last week when the winter storm came thru the SE
    before it merged with that MW bad boy into monster storm Nemo.
    Very pretty but nothing to what you new englanders got!

MrsG47 are you worried about all your trees or just a few of a somewhat attainable height?
    I used to live in an old farm house in Maine with an amazing delicious old apple tree
    I would throw on boots & dash out to knock off the heavy snow with a broom duck taped to a mop.
    very high tech.

• mamuang_gw
    11 years ago

In Worcester, MA, we got about 28" in about 24 hrs. Some said it broke the record of the Blizzard of 1978 for the amount of snow Worcester got in one storm.

It's sunny now. Snow stopped after 10 am today.

Glad that we've hired a plow man to take care of the driveway.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

We got 10 inches in January. Six inches followed by 4 inches a week later. It's the first time I've seen snow when there was a little left from the last storm. Total 3 inches ppt for the month. That's a normal winters worth in a good year.

• fabaceae_native
    11 years ago

Wow fruitnut, it's nice to hear you got that moisture. One of those Jan storms may have been the same that dropped so much rain in much of AZ and NM. Unfortunately where I am missed out on much of that (we only saw an inch or two of snow) and it has been pretty dry since December.

Ski Santa Fe has managed OK though, they just broke 100 inches for the season last night and should get a bunch more through Tuesday. Still below average, but nothing to scoff at.

• ravenh2001
    11 years ago

I still can't see my pond 150' from house. Drifts over 5' fence posts. Neighbor with a new to him plow truck wanted to help and burried the truck. I said thank you for the help but I have done this for 40 years and have learned getting stuck really sucks. I am now sitting home waiting for a call from a plow guy saying bring tractor and pull me out. ms g daughter in grot ct seems to be hit harder?

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

On another forum a guy in CT. got 40 to 46 inches.

• theaceofspades
    11 years ago

About two feet here. The town Airport reports 30". This blizzard was fun. I got to use the snow thrower. I like when the snow melts away fast. Upper 40's next week with the rain forecast on Monday. Bay Laurel shipped my 3 in 1 pluot tree and UPS has suspended shipment due to the blizzard. Hope it is sitting in an unheated place.{{gwi:65398}}

Dapple Dandy pluot in the foreground

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

4-8 more inches predicted wed nite

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I got a bigger snowblower a year ago, and we haven't had more than an inch since

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My electricity is finally back on. A day and a half with temps in the teens at night has not been great. The ice on the trees here in Newport has been a disaster. We've received over two feet of snow, the trucks are still out plowing. The sun is coming out and all is turning into dangerous ice. What a mess. I cannot even get out to my orchard to check on my trees. As the snow began to fall last friday, it was icy, then dry, then continued as regular snow, then turned to sleet, then more snow, etc. The layers you go through to get to the road are filled with very heavy ice. It is no longer beautiful. I have twenty foot tall trees I can see in my back garden that are bent over to 6 feet tall. The ice is powerful and mean. Mrs. G ps I would like to get the squirrel sling for pawxatawny phil!

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

I got 13-14", which wasn't much compared to other parts of the state. Even so, it took 2+ hours for my wife and I to clear the driveway. This was only the 3rd time I've used the snow blower I got before last winter. The two previous times were ~4", so this was the first real test. I got one of the higher rated electric (corded) ones and it was a real effort. I think the one benefit over shoveling is that it doesn't tire out your arms as much (just your legs and abs). It seems to be almost as much effort.

The forecast shows low 40's for the rest of the week, so hopefully that will melt most of it. I've got my first trees coming in in less than a month, so I don't want this to stick around long.

Unlike Mrs G, I didn't see any damage whatsoever to my trees. I guess it stayed cold enough to be snow and not ice them up. Also, I think that there was a lot less wind than predicted.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

Here's a picture from my parents in south central CT. They got 34". Note the snow coming up to the windows on the car and almost covering the snow blower (I think that's what it is).

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

there's a car?

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

Yup, it's actually a station wagon. I had to look at it for a minute to make sure it was really the car. You can just see the rear-view mirror sticking out.