Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question on pruning

Posted by Creek-side 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 20:07

Is it ever a good idea to just cut a branch back a few feet? I have a young plum tree whose upper branches are all pretty long, but don't branch out at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question on pruning

Perhaps this will help

Training and Pruning Your Home Orchard
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/22166/pnw400.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Training and Pruning Your Home Orchard

o

I prune all of my plums like that. It helps to keep them under control and easier to manage.

o

Jap plums often don't cooperate in terms of producing secondary branching where you need it off of scaffolds (main branches off the trunk). You can stub cut branches or cut back to a small shoot to encourage more of this branching, but it is best to wait until the tree is growing for the best response- that is to get best production of smaller secondary branches.

It is also very helpful to come back a few weeks later and lightly pinch back all the shoots that emerge right behind the cut besides the one that will be the new leader. You select the shoot growing closest to the angle the branch is already growing to be the leader of the branch.

Otherwise you are likely to get most of your response at the point of the cut with equal sized branches competing with each other, growing at crazy angles. Each stub cut can only get you a couple new secondary branches at the point of the cut and these secondary branches must be subdued early on to insure subdominance to the leader.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here