Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

Honeyberry - Best source?

m_taggart
11 years ago

I'd like to buy a couple honeyberry plants and would welcome suggestions for the best nursery to purchase from. Stark Bros has two, blue moon and blue velvet, for $19.99. Seems like a great deal, but I have no idea what size they would be. Where did you buy yours and how big were they?

Comments (13)

• Charlie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Honeyberyusa has the following:

Borealis Honeyberry
    * One of the best tasting and largest fruit sizes of the University of Saskatchewan breeding program
    * Excellent berry for fresh eating as well as jams and jellies
    * Best suited for gardeners who can hand pick the more delicate fruit
    * 5+ lbs of berries on mature plants
    * Mid blooming
    * Mature height 4-6'
    * Heavy foliage on dome shaped bush
    * We recommend Aurora, Honey Bee or Berry Smart Blue for pollinization
    More Info

1 Year Old Plants
    1-9 $15.00 USD 10-19 $12.00 USD 20-49 $10.00 USD

2 Year Old Plants
    1-9 $22.00 USD 10-19 $19.00 USD 20-49 $17.00 USD

Tundra Honeyberry
    * Firm enough for commercial harvesting, yet tender enough to melt in your mouth
    * Less tangy than Borealis
    * Good for fresh eating as well as baking
    * 5+ lbs of berries on mature plants
    * V-shaped, more open bush than Borealis
    * Early-mid blooming
    * Mature height 4-6'
    * We recommend Aurora, Honey Bee or Berry Smart Blue for pollinization
    More Info

Indigo Gem Honeyberry
    * One of the preferred fresh-eating berries for its sweetness and slightly chewy texture
    * Good mixed with other berries in processing
    * 6+ lbs of berries on mature plants
    * More susceptible to mildew and sunburn than Borealis and Tundra
    * V-shaped, open bush
    * Early-mid blooming
    * Mature height 4-6'
    * We recommend Aurora, Honey Bee or Berry Smart Blue for pollinization.
    More Info

Quantity
    1-4 $17.00 USD 10-19 $14.00 USD 20-49 $12.00 USD

Aurora Honeyberry
    Shipping Fall 2013
    * Newest release from the University of Saskatchewan
    * Largest berry with sweetest taste
    * Easy to pick
    * Resistent to mildew
    * Mid blooming
    * Pollinates all other honeyberries listed on this page.
    * Mature height estimated at 5-6 feet, upgright and spreading shape
    * Russian and Japanese ancestry
    * Processed flavor/characteristics unknown at this time
    * Picture at left shows two Aurora berries next to a small Borealis berry
    More Info

Quantity
    1-4 $20.00 USD 10-19 $16.00 USD 20-49 $14.00 USD

Honey Bee Honeyberry
    * Serves as pollinizer for all other varieties
    * Fruit is tarter than Borealis and Tundra
    * Plant holds onto its fruit firmly and fruit stays on the plant longer
    * Stems sometimes stay attached when berries are picked
    * Leaves are resistant to sunburn and powdery mildew
    * Grows approx 6' tall
    * 6+ lbs of berries on mature plants
    * Early-mid blooming
    More Info

Berry Smart Blue Honeyberry
    * Serves as pollinizer for all other varieties
    * Tasty tart berries good fresh or processed
    * 7+ lbs of berries on mature plants
    * Early blooming, early dormancy, fast growing
    * Susceptible to sunburn and powdery mildew, but these issues do not affect fruit production.
    * Mature height 6-8'
    * Equivalent to Berry Blue honeyberry
    More Info

Svetlana Honeyberry
    * Serves as pollinizer for early to mid blooming varieties such as Berry Smart Blue, some overlap with the other varieties
    * Tasty tart berries good fresh or processed
    * Early blooming, early dormancy, very fast growing
    * Susceptible to sunburn and powdery mildew, but these issues do not affect fruit production.
    * Mature height 6-8'
    * We have not personally tasted this berry yet, but hear it is tasty and a very fast grower.
    More Info

Honeyberry Four-Pack
    Home Gardener Special:
    * 3 Borealis
    * 1 Companion Variety (Honey Bee, Berry Smart Blue, or Svetlana, according to availability).

Four-Pack $56.00 USD

Honeyberry Six-Pack
    Variety Pack:
    * 2 Borealis
    * 2 Tundra
    * 2 Companion Varieties (Berry Smart Blue, Honey Bee, or Svetlana, according to availability)

Six-Pack $82.00 USD

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Honeyberry Usa is an excellent place. Also check out Burnt Ridge and also Berries Unlimited as they are dependable companies too and may be less expensive depending if you want 2-3.

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Rolling river has some for $10.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

I'd be cautious about BerriesUnlimited for the 4" honeyberries. I got a couple last year and they were quite small and fragile. They were clinging to life late in the summer and I'm not sure if they made it. I also read about some issues people had with delays. The above applies to the Borealis and Tundra, which I believe they were sourcing externally.

The 1gal honeyberry (Midnight Blue) I got from them, which I think they grew themselves, was a quality plant, as are their blueberries.

I haven't gotten honeyberries from HoneyberryUsa, but I did get dwarf sour cherries from them two springs ago. They were also small (2x2x4" pots), but have done quite well. I've placed an order with them for a few more, and some honeyberries, for this spring.

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the direction. Bob_z6, I'm glad to hear the sour cherries from HoneyberryUSA performed well, as I was thinking of trying those out.

• lkz5ia
    11 years ago

why are you interested when in zone 8? Would have thought a lot more good stuff to grow than us northerners, who are fruit deprived in the spring.

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was looking at options for part shade. I have a small yard without a great deal of sun. Any suggestions?

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I'm actually zone 7b. Not sure why it was showing up as 8. I think I have that fixed now.

Edit - Nope, not fixed. Still showing as 8.

This post was edited by m_taggart on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 9:46

• Noogy
    11 years ago

I just got an E-mail from Bernis-HBUSA, reminding me of my replacement honeyberry of one that died. I had purchased a bunch of stock and it was the one thing that didn't make it.
    Who calls you up to offer free shipping accompanying the replacement?

• brotherjake
    10 years ago

Honeyberries are good part-shade plants, but zone 8 may be too warm for them. One Green World has a good variety of Japanese varieties that can handle warmer regions, but I would talk to them to determine if they are likely to work for you. Currants and gooseberries are two other shade-tolerant fruit bushes. Elderberries will tolerate shade as well. Everything I have mentioned is versatile where soil type is concerned.

• aphahn
    10 years ago

M_taggart,
    The two you listed from Starks are late blooming varieties. While the U of S honey berries like Borealis and Tundra are supposed to be the best tasting, the late bloomers are nice for avoiding late frosts or extending the season.
    Though the bloom of the early and late varieties do not overlap much so they really are not good pollinizers for each other.

I got my Borealis and Tundra from Honeyberry USA and can't recommend them enough, their service is great. The late bloomers that I got from rain tree and one green world, were more expensive but only slightly larger.

Andy

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Their Indigo gems were huge this year. Like 10-12" and multi-stemmed bushes. It came out of dormancy beautifully, put on new growth, and I left it by the hot air outlet of my furnace by mistake and fried it in 4 hours. It never recovered. I have flowers on my 1yr borealis and tundra and have built a cage around them because the chickens go scratch the mulch away from their bases and scatter it about. They'll make good rabbit barriers too.
    They love woodland mulch and frequent watering.

• pinc06
    10 years ago

I bought my Honeyberries from Starks and they arrived in very good condition, Pot was small maybe 3 inches but the growth was lush and at least 6" high. They are doing very well. I had previously ordered the same ones from Guerneys I believe and for whatever reason they delayed shipping for almost 6 wks. We then had a freak heat spell and my poor little plants were cooked in our metal mail box. So even Starks stuff would have died had it been sent late.

I ordered these varieties on purpose since I prefer tart or at least a tart/sweet balance in fruit. These were the only varieties that I could find listing tart. They are doing well, but only been in the ground 2 months so will be a couple years before I can taste for myself.

Pam in cinti