Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Appropriate soil pH for Growing Blueberries

Posted by Cheapshot202 none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 20:11

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to grow a blueberry bush. It is brigatta species of blueberry. I am growing this blueberry plant in a pot and and I am trying to bring the pH down to an appropriate level. I have bought a slightly acidic potting mix, but according to my pH tester, the pH of the potting mix is only 6.0 to 6.5 and I know that it needs to get lower. I have applied garden sulphur to the mix, but I believe this takes about 4 weeks to start working. I am wanting your thoughts on how I can give this blueberry the best chance.

What is the best pH for growing blueberries (brigatta species)

Do you think I am doing the right thing?

I have also attached a photo of the blueberry bush, please have a look and tell me how you think it's going. The leaves to me look red and they were green when I first got the plant. I am not sure if this is the hot weather that has caused this.

Your thoughts please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Appropriate soil pH for Growing Blueberries

Red leafs is caused from cool weather. They green up when it gets warm, no worries! I like a pH of around 5,+or- 3. Mine do great at that pH. I've even dropped them down to 3.8 pH with little problems but it was only that low for a month or so. I ended up flushing the pots with tap water until the pH came back up. Sulfer will work but it's best mixed up in the potting medium before planting. In a pot a teaspoon spoon will do well. Any more than that, depending on amount of soil used, could drop the pH too low. It's easy to over use sulfer in pots. With only one plant you should really try to use nothing but rain water. Tap will raise your soil pH and you will be fighting it till the plant dies or you give up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here