Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

OT--OK, what is UP with these clickable signs??

In the past couple of days, Gardenweb started inserting clickable icons next to words they think need "definitions", such as the word "fruit", above.

Whose brilliant idea was this?

All is does is slow everything down, give Gardenweb more reasons to crash, and present the posters with even MORE annoying pop-ups.

Please stop this, Gardenweb!!! We don't need it!

Carla in Sac

Comments (17)

• bucky130
    14 years ago

We don't need it but they may need the advertising dollars. Gives us an easy link to a search engine too if we need to use it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I saw Gardenweb's note about it the other day saying that it would be rolled out shortly, but I use Firefox so don't see them at all. Firefox (with Adblock) lets you cruise through Gardenweb in style with no bothers from ads, popups, etc.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, i just installed Firefox with Adblocker and pasted this page into it, and "Bing recommended links" still appears next to the word "fruit" above in Firefox as well. I don't know why it doesn't in yours.
    Good idea, though!

Carla in Sac

• cebury
    14 years ago

I don't see any of it either, never have... no ads, nothing.

• thisisme
    14 years ago

Today I was posting and I clicked on "Preview Message"

I look and in the preview of my own message I see that one of the words I was posting was clickable. So I delete the word and retype it and click "Preview Message" again and it was still there.lol

If you move your mouse over the link it says "Bing" as in the search engine. I guess they are making money off it and it helps keep the sight free for us so who am I to complain.

• breenthumb
    14 years ago

Read the "what's new on GW" bottom line in red. Opt out if you want.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

If you are using Internet Explorer, cut and paste this into ( Restricted Sites ). *.intellitxt.com
    *.vibrantmedia.com on separate lines.

Open these tabs in order.
    Look in Tools,
    Internet options,
    security,
    Restricted Sites,
    Sites,
    Add to sites box *.intellitxt.com *.vibrantmedia.com
    Close
    and OK
    Your Done.

These will remove the intellitxt from your post.

Eric

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

I use Firefox AND did opt out but still see the links. This app is so lame, providing us with definition for words a first grade child can define. Like Carla said, genius!

I just ignore them...

Sandra

• Scott F Smith
    14 years ago

I also opted out but I'm still "in", sigh.

Scott

• kellascat
    14 years ago

I think Adblocker (for Firefox) is the trick. I don't see the ads, and only heard about them from you guys.

• bucky130
    14 years ago

We don't need it but they may need the advertising dollars. Gives us an easy link to a search engine too if we need to use it.

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

I've got firefox with adblock plus and no script, and I don't get any ads. I sure hope they are using those advertising dollars to upgrade the forums. An edit button would do a world of good.

• olpea
    14 years ago

I use Firefox with ad and script blocker and don't see the app. Maybe it has to do with what version of Firefox is used. I think I use an older version Firefox because I'm still on Windows 98.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

There's a thread on the cottage garden forum that explains how to get rid of them. You might want to check there :)

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Go straight to the source.

Here is a link that might be useful: A message regarding new advertising

• glenn_russell
    14 years ago

The Vibrant contextual advertising doesn't bother me as much as the advertisements at the top of a thread which increase in size and push all the other thread text down, and then shrink in size and all the text moves back up. Does anyone know how to get rid of those? Like Scott, I opted out of the Vibrant ads, but they still appear. I'm using Google Chrome as I find it faster than IE and Firefox. But, it doesn't look like there is a way to block *.intellitxt.com and *.vibrantmedia.com. -Glenn

• mtbigfish
    14 years ago

breenthumb
    Don't find it - but when I type a post you can hit the ? help and disable the bing as an option
    Dennis