Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric580

Help! My apple seedling is sick

eric580
11 years ago

Please help, my poor baby seedling is sick! What is wrong with it? It had plenty of water before,during,and after it wilted. Does it need more sun or fertilizer? I have just moved it to a pot by itself. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• applenut_gw
    11 years ago

They look pretty leggy; have they been inside all this time? Usually seedling death is from too much water leading to "damping off" from fungus or rot. If so there's nothing you can do to save it. But alas, all is not lost; go to the supermarket and find a Pink Lady that looks like its been there a while; it will usually have a couple seeds in it already sprouted.

• eric580
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you applenut! I have a pink lady in my fridge that's been there awhile. I will get some seeds to replace my poor baby:(

• eric580
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you applenut! I have a pink lady in my fridge that's been there awhile. I will get some seeds to replace my poor baby:(

• dmtaylor
    11 years ago

Try watering them less. You probably only need to water like 2 or 3 times a week.

• ahajmano
    11 years ago

Use a sterile potting mix (typical for seedlings), and clean the new pot with a sanitizer like bleach. The fungus that causes "damping off" is ubiquitous in all non-sterile potting mix, garden soil, and native soil.

There is almost always some % loss from seedlings due to damping-off, and there is a lot more going on then just the stem. You may notice several weeks of poor or stunted growth before the plant wilts or keels over. This is when the actual roots are infected before the fungus destroys the stem. Throw out the seedlings that have clearly stopped growing.