Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My apple seedling is sick

Posted by Eric580 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 20:31

Please help, my poor baby seedling is sick! What is wrong with it? It had plenty of water before,during,and after it wilted. Does it need more sun or fertilizer? I have just moved it to a pot by itself. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My apple seedling is sick

They look pretty leggy; have they been inside all this time? Usually seedling death is from too much water leading to "damping off" from fungus or rot. If so there's nothing you can do to save it. But alas, all is not lost; go to the supermarket and find a Pink Lady that looks like its been there a while; it will usually have a couple seeds in it already sprouted.

o

Thank you applenut! I have a pink lady in my fridge that's been there awhile. I will get some seeds to replace my poor baby:(

o

Thank you applenut! I have a pink lady in my fridge that's been there awhile. I will get some seeds to replace my poor baby:(

o

Try watering them less. You probably only need to water like 2 or 3 times a week.

o

Use a sterile potting mix (typical for seedlings), and clean the new pot with a sanitizer like bleach. The fungus that causes "damping off" is ubiquitous in all non-sterile potting mix, garden soil, and native soil.

There is almost always some % loss from seedlings due to damping-off, and there is a lot more going on then just the stem. You may notice several weeks of poor or stunted growth before the plant wilts or keels over. This is when the actual roots are infected before the fungus destroys the stem. Throw out the seedlings that have clearly stopped growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here