Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree CANKER? w/ Pictures

Posted by lazy_bear77 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 20:50

Hi all, this is my first post here. I�ve taken over the care of my late Fathers small apple orchard. The trees have been neglected for years, but I�ve been reading on this forum, and doing some selective pruning.
I have posted some photos of the wounds on some diseased tree limbs. My question is if this is Canker or just some variant of a bark disease? I can�t tell even after looking at a bunch of photos on the web. I should mention that these limbs do bear fruit, and are not dead, but they look like they should be from the wounds.
Thanks for your help.
Devon

photos
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: apple tree photo 3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree CANKER? w/ Pictures

They should be fine, the worst is over...could be some sort of injury, now you have dead tissue, you can cut it away. Could be from frost damage, firelight, hit by a object, infection etc.
The 3rd. picture is pretty normal... expansion of bark tissue, sometimes
due to a very fast grow spurt.

Konrad

o
RE: Apple tree CANKER? w/ Pictures

Could be apple anthracnose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here