Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

This new format

Don't know about you but I'm not liking this. Shrink what counts to make room for more annoying ads. Hogwash if you ask me.

Also there needs to be more color contrast or something in the background...yuk.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:53

Comments (51)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

It is kind of different.I use to see ads but haven't seen any for about six months.
    I have this program called Adblock Plus and I think that's what is doing the blocking.It's free,I think they ask for donations.
    It seems ads were still appearing while I had the program,but then they stopped.It could be self adjusting,because I didn't play around with it too much. Brady

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Does look a little pallid, but the page layout is an improvement; the posting area is now fixed width. Text width of 600 pixels is considered ideal for computer reading.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Its too bright, the graphics are horrible and the ads are larger. What could be worse? Mrs. G

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Ads? Uh...oh... GW was one of the reasons why I changed from IE to Firefox with the ad-block plugin.

Does look a bit washed out, though......

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

I was really sick of looking at the default web font they always had, any font change is a big improvement to me. I have an ad blocker (downloaded and installed due to this site only) and would recommend it to any user of this site. The one annoying thing about the new format is long titles wrap around a lot - thats a design error they should fix.

Scott

• rayrose
    11 years ago

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• ericwi
    11 years ago

For whatever reason, on my 'puter, the old format and the new format are for practical purposes the same. I barely noticed the change. I still see ads, but they are about the same size, and in the same position.

• marknmt
    11 years ago

I don't care for the white background, but other than that it's fine. I use AdBlock Plus and don't see ads at all.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I don't mind it at all. Once I got used to it I actually find it easier to read. And I don't get any more ads than I always have. On the whole I feel it is an improvement.

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

Is Adblock Plus only available for Firefox and Chrome?

• ltilton
    11 years ago

The big blank space does look kind of odd, but with AdBlock that's the main difference.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

firefox and ad block here. I see no ads.

it is too bright I think.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

It's funny, I see people saying it looks too bright.. on my ipad it looks exactly the same as before, just a different font and different nav bar at top. Oh, and there's a better format to see the title of a thread, who started it, and when the last response was. The background has alway been white for me. Well, I suppose every has a different set up so things look different to each of us.

• mrcaballus
    11 years ago

After getting virused a couple years ago by a pushed advertisement, I installed a program called NoScript. It allows ME to control what scripts run on my pages. So all I can say is: What ads? :)

A real improvement, would be the ability to make an automatic jump to 'First Unread' like every other forum seems to have.

This post was edited by MrCaballus on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 17:28

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

The maker of Adblock Plus has had numerous requests to have it work for Internet Explorer,but says it is very difficult and it probably won't happen.

• john222-gg
    11 years ago

I like GardenWeb it is free so i don't care what it takes to keep it going.Free is Free

• john222-gg
    11 years ago

I like GardenWeb it is free so i don't care what it takes to keep it going.Free is Free

• Beth444
    11 years ago

I am with you, free is great. I make it a priority of mine to always find the bright side of any situation and that is where my focus is.

Seeing the glass half full instead of half empty is a great way to live especially in my line of work :)

My best wishes to everyone!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    11 years ago

HATE IT!

Carla in Sac

• northernmn
    11 years ago

It does seem kind of bright to me. The aseptic feeling just doesn't match well with growing things in dirt.

• dmtaylor
    11 years ago

Damn, this *is* bright! On my desktop, anyway. Looked perfectly normal on my Kindle Fire though. I'm usually on there these days so I don't much care about the changes. Seems mostly the same, with bigger ads, which are typically blocked. No big whoop here.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Another improvement is that the pages actually finish loading--I swear that in the previous format, the address bar at the bottom of FireFox would display various urls for minutes on end.

Yes, the wraparound titles are clunky--looks like the "clippings" is assigned the same vertical space and is squeezing the title.

Perhaps the above-mentioned portable computers have default background settings to some off-white shade to save battery power.

There is "too bright" chatter on the Computer Help forum also.

• canadianplant
    11 years ago

Really?! TBH there are no changes at all besides the background and the search etc has been modernized. Sure its a bit different from the black header, but other then that there is no difference once you scroll down past that.

And I dont notice any difference in the number of adds. I see 2. The biggest difference I notice is that the site looks cleaner, more modern and i barely notice any size difference.

If anything it wasnt enough of a change. Im still having problems receiving notifications, and its still the same forum format from 10 years ago.

I appreciate the clean up admin. I know even if the changes look small and cosmetic they arent always easy to do.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

For us old guys with old eyes, the added contrast makes for easier reading. Any change takes some getting used to, and this is the first real appearance change since "Spike" started GardenWeb many years ago. Al

• glib
    11 years ago

I always had a white background. The fonts have changed. Noscript with Firefox leaves a big gaping hole on the right where ads used to be, it is just a bigger hole now.

Actually this site is pretty good. There are sites which force me to change permissions, but this one is completely self-contained and will not get stuck trying to call an outside website that has been blocked. I am happy with Gardenweb, we provide content but they make it free, and it is now reasonably robust. It is a win-win situation.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I actually like the background, it's soft on both my Mac and my PC. I have AdBlock enabled on Firefox, so I don't see the ads. So, non-issue for me. Yes, I do thing the posting frame should be widened, it's a bit narrow, and that would make scrolling through a thread easier - more width and less length.

What I'm more interested in, is the improved search feature coming, and also if GW could allow posters to add multiple photos, instead of just one (better than no photos, but still, not optimal). In order to add multiple photos, posters need to know how to upload to a photo-sharing site, then understand how to copy the correct code string (HTML code, and not the direct link or IMG code). Pain to have to instruct new forum members on how to post multiple photos in a post. And yes, I agree, it would nice to be able to sort the messages so you can get to the "latest unread message" per user as many other forum formats provide. That way, you can pull up all the posts that you haven't read since your previous time.

Patty S.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe I'm adjusting already. But I think the margin is a little darker than a couple days ago.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

The color gradient has changed today. Initially it went from lima bean to white, now goes from lima bean to pastel green.

• darthtrader
    11 years ago

If you don't want to see ads, install the add-on called "Adblock" for Firefox or Chrome. Works great. Didn't even realize there were ads until a few of you mentioned them, because i never see them.

• carolync1
    11 years ago

I don't mind ads so much as long as they don't flash, mover or make noise.

• northshore3
    11 years ago

To the powers that be. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !
    I understand that in a capitolistic system the bill must be paid and as long as it is free to me I'm a happy camper. Thank you for your time and persistance.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I hate it. But that's me ;-)

There's way too much screen real estate devoted to non-content stuff.

Plus, type color does not change after I've viewed a thread.

Lots of other rants. They're trying to be like FaceBook.

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

Dave, this thread appears to have been started two years ago in regards to changes back then. FYI.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

This is a pain in the ass, Took me several tries to confirm my account, Why in the world would they take something so good and change it, Somebody must have lost their mind.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

After a whiles it all 'grows' on you! LOL Mrs. G!

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Fruitnut! Yes, we are the content of this forum and site. I have learned so much in the 9 years I have been reading and or participating in this forum. I have learned from your words, and many others, the list is too long to write out. Your reward, is giving information to people who care about growing fruit. We take pictures of the tiniest first berry to show you how well, we've done. It should not be a concern that you are 'tired of giving away' (paraphrasing )free info; that is what forums are for. What you might do, however is write a book. I am working on my fourth book now. That is my outlet for using and sharing the information I have learned and applied through growing fruit trees and berries of all sorts. You definitely have the most impressive high tunnel in our forum, let alone the necessary Hort. knowledge. The contents of your tunnel seems to change all of the time and is brilliant, (still don't know how you keep your soil healthy) but you are part of this and a needed part of this forum. Not begging just asking you to take a deep breathe, don't worry about format and continue your excellent advice and commentary. Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I don't really expect change to be good but this isn't all that bad- I think in a few days I won't notice it at all. I hope you both, Fruitnut and Olpea, who are threatening to leave will reconsider.

I would really miss having you here even though I can always contact you through your e-mails. You contribute so much to my enjoyment of this forum.

• Flagman
    9 years ago

Hey folks! If you want to get rid of the white background go get the Stylish addon for firefox.

Goto forums.gardenweb.com. (you need to have this in your active window)

Click the stylish icon in the addon bar.

Click 'Write new style'

Select 'for forums.gardenweb.com...'

When the editing tab comes up paste this into the code

body { background-color: tan !important; }

It should like this afterwards.

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forums.gardenweb.com") {

body { background-color: tan !important;

}

}

You can change the color to whatever you want.

Name it to gardenweb and click save.

And make sure styles are turned on.

• Flagman
    9 years ago

chrome has the stylish addon too

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Flagman,

I went to that forums.gardenweb.com page,but didn't see the addon bar. Brady

• Flagman
    9 years ago

The addon bar is a part of firefox. Right click next up top somewhere like next to help. Select addon bar

• Flagman
    9 years ago

Or click tools at top

Click add-ons

Select userstyles to the left on the tab that comes up

Click 'Write new style' at top and paste

body {

background-color: tan !important;

}

}

Name it gardenweb and save it.

• Flagman
    9 years ago

Or you could use this code to use a background image

body {background: none !important;}

html { background: url("http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2015/041/5/9/a_touch_of_red_by_assassin00-d8hj47n.jpg";) !important; }

}

• mrcaballus_usda9b_ca
    9 years ago

Thanks Flagman. darkseagreen works nicely. thumbupsmiley

• mudwater
    9 years ago

I can get use to the change...I suppose, BUT! why couldn't I use my old account name? why did I have to start a new account and user name???? I'll get over it I guess.

• mudwater
    9 years ago

Hey Darthtrader...I Dig, ring a bell????

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If you check the date at the top of this thread you'll see it was talking about changes made in 2013, not the one's which happened recently with the Houzz takeover.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Flora, this is an old thread from 2013. So its your past self above. This thread was about a previous round of changes and it probably showed up on the right side in the Houzz format and someone thought it was recent (in the old GW the most recent stuff was on the right but not any more).

Scott

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator