Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear Pollination

Posted by spinonitaliani 6A (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 9, 10 at 21:02

I am thinking about buying two Italian pears from Raintree Nursery. One is Butirra Precoce Morettini, which ripens in early August. The other is Bella Di Guigno which ripens in late June. I know pears need pollination, so will these two varieties pollinate eachother and both set fruit? Thanks.

Also, how is Raintree? Anyone ordered from them?
And...anyone know how big the trees will get? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear Pollination

This is my Butirra Precoce Morettini purchased from Raintree Jan 1994

Espallier on New Zealand wire.

Butirra Precoce Morettini

Eric

o

I'll be pretty surprised if you can get any pear ripe in June in a Z6- that's cherry season!

Most pears are compatible(unless very closely related) so the odds are pretty good. I would assume that if either pear was known as a weak pollen source the catalogue would mention it.

Anyway, pears are easy to graft- the easiest of any fruit I've tried. Once the trees are plugged in why not graft on some later fruiting varieties- they are generally of higher quality anwyway.

o

Thats impressive Espalier Eric! How good are the Morretini pears.

spinonitaliani, Raintree usually sells oversize trees and they are reliable. You should call them to see if the trees are still available and cross pollination. Both those pears are early so they should cross pollinate.

Harvest, I haven't gotten a taste but these are real good early pears. I've got scion wood if you want to try. use e-mail

o

There is a page in the GRIN site that has first bloom and full bloom details for many years. I think you'll find what you're looking for here.

According to the 1990 details, both varieties have first bloom and full bloom within a day of each other, however, the Butirra Precoce Morettini ripens 34 days after the Bella di Giugno.

Here is a link that might be useful: PYRUS.CORVALLIS.1990

o

Thanks,

I'll definitely send Raintree an email about the pollination and availability. I'm glad to hear they are reliable. On Gardenwatchdog, they had majority positive reviews but also some negative.

eric- Your tree looks great! It makes me want to try espaliering my new trees.

Thanks again guys!

o

Raintree has a Pollination chart on line. Looks like only one of the two trees is on the list. I also have Orcas pear. Orcas pear and Morettini seem to work well together.

Espalier is a bit of work but fun too. Works well on a south facing wall.

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here