Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberries in concrete blocks

Posted by jimfnc 7bNC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 21:04

I am building a raised bed with concrete blocks. Inside the bed will be vegatables. Can I grow strawberries in the opening of the concrete blocks - is there enough room for good plant growth? Have seen lots of growing lettuce, onions, garlic in concrete blocks - but strawberries?
Very limited sunshine space & trying to maximize. Other option is a vertical planter of berries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberries in concrete blocks

Sounds like a good idea. Strawberries are shallow rooted so you should be fine. Sounds like a good idea to snack on some strawberries while you're working in the raised bed!

o

I tried the blocks and they did very well for a few years. There were two problems that i did run into. One was they dried out fast especially in the heat of summer. So I kept the soil moist buy watering twice a day, morning and night. The other problem showed up after the winter of the third year. The blocks started to crack up and fall apart. The strawberry plants, roots and frost just blew-up the blocks from the inside out. good luck with yours. I used earilglow plants.

o

I grew strawberries in the holes of cinder blocks last year too. The ones that were in shade made it through the summer, but the ones in full sun died in the summer heat. However, I would venture to guess you won't be going through a summer nearly as bad as ours was last year - record drought and record heat down here in Houston. I think oversummering strawberries in Houston is a little tough, even in a normal year. So anyhow, I'd actually say that the cinder block holes worked pretty well.

o

I have grown a variety of things in concrete block holes. Agree with the above that it works, but they dry out incredibly fast. You will need to water them a LOT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here