Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help diagnosing cherry tree disease

Posted by rhewhton 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 21:31

I have two young cherry trees (a Meteor and Northstar) planted during the Fall of 2010. They are both on krymsk-7 rootstock. The Northstar fruited for the first time last year but the Meteor has not fruited yet.

Around August of last year I noticed that both had lost some leaves (see one in image) and that some of the leaves were yellowed. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good close-up image of the leaves but the 2nd pic gives some idea. Today I was looking closely at the trees in dormancy and noticed quite a few lesions on trunk. Most of these weren't oozing anything but in the crotch of some of the major branches I did see sap oozing out. I should have dealt with this problem sooner but was distracted by other projects late last summer. I've done some web searching and it looks like it could be cherry leaf spot although I'm not sure the oozing sap fits this. Could bacterial canker be a possibility? What do you all think the problem is and is there hope for these trees? Thanks!

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help diagnosing cherry tree disease

Sorry, it's not letting me post multiple images for some reason. Here's image 2...

o

...and image 3.

o

I should mention that I live in Maryland; this would probably be helpful in determining what disease the trees have. Thanks in advance!

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 1:30

My Northstar has terrible bacterial diseases, but they look different than yours. Mine does have the clear ooze, which I believe is bacterial. Maybe the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will know the Secret of the OOze?
John S
PDX OR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here