Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tasting low chill early apricot?

Posted by altadenamara SoCal9 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 21:35

Which is the better tasting early apricot that might fruit in the Los Angeles area, such as Katy, Royal Rosa, or Goldkist? Any blooming apricot is supposed to help the fruit set of Flavor Delight aprium, but all my apricots are still asleep and Flavor Delight is almost bloomed out. Is it possible that another aprium like Cot-N-Candy would pollinate it? It's had a few blooms, but is too small to flower much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tasting low chill early apricot?

Flavor Delight may be self fertile. It has always set a lot of fruit for me. And it does bloom very early. Cot-N-Candy will probably fertilize it if they bloom together. I just planted Cot-N-Candy this yr. My favorite early aprium is Tasty Rich. It is listed at 300 hrs. It is my earliest tree fruit, has good size, and a very good full apricot flavor. I think it is a much superior eating fruit than Flavor Deight and about two wks earlier. But I think you will have a hard time finding it.

The Fruitnut

o

Thanks for your response. Adams County Nursery sells Tasty Rich, but doesn't ship to CA. Not fair, since the variety originated here.
A local nursery is having a big sale this weekend, with a nice selection of fruit trees.

o

Fruitnut, you're right. Flavor Delight seems to be setting a nice crop this year, in spite of no pollinators. Last year there was only one fruit.
I bought both Kathy and Royal Royal at the local nursery sale. There are a number of Gardenweb posts on how well Royal Rosa grows, how disease resistant it is, but not much on how it tastes.

o

I have a Royal Rosa and have not been impressed with the fruit so far. Small and on the bland side. Flavor Delight is better, thought not as good as my Harcot, which comes on a little later. There's a space for Flavorella plumcot next to Royal Rosa so that it could serve as a pollenizer, if I find a tree on a suitable rootstock. Katy is supposed to taste better near the coast than in the Central Valley where I am, so the same could be true of Royal Rosa.

Tasty Rich sounds great. Wonder if it's self-pollinating? My Flavor Delight doesn't seem to need a pollinatior.

Early Golden is listed at 450 chill hours vs. 500 for Royal Rosa. Flora Gold (500 hours) is also early. It is on the small side and is bland until fully ripe, at least in my yard. I guess this means it is low in acid.

o

In my opinion, the only true "low-chill" apricot that is around is Joe's Italian. I posted on this variety last year (or was it two years ago?); anyway, it is no longer available apparently in the GW archive.

Joe's Italian is available from Exotica Nursery in Vista, CA. It originally came from Palermo, Sicily. It is extremely precocious (quickly starts fruiting) and needs little chilling. It flowers with Flavor Delight. It has a truer apricot flavor than FD, but is less juicy. I wouldn't call it a fantastic apricot, but for me it is far more reliable than Katy (which I discarded after 7 years of no fruit) or Goldkist.

Brian

o

Thanks so much for your responses. I had a large apricot tree that was a heavy bearer for around 24 years, then died suddenly, possibly a Blenheim. It ripened around the end of June. Trying to replace it has been a challenge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here