Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to plant a crooked bare root tree?

Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 22:00

How do I plant a tree where the root stock and the grafted scion do not align with each other? When I plant the tree and have the trunk stand straight up, the root stock will be under the soil at an awkward 45 degree angle, is this ok? Or should I plant the root stock straight, let the trunk stand crookedly and then tie it to a stake to let it straighten out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to plant a crooked bare root tree?

If you plant it as you should,...root stock above soil, the stock is on a angle, [short stem] and tree straight. Not bad, give's the tree a character, or straightening out by tie it to a stake,..but don't brake it. I wouldn't bother, when tree grows larger you can hardly see it.

o

I'd plant the trunk straight and have the root, below ground, at an angle. Trim the high side of the roots if needed so that the graft union doesn't set too low. I've done this before and it worked.

If the stock is small caliber or if there is a low branch that could become the new trunk, then doing it the other way could work just as well. You won't be able to pull the top straight until after it has rooted for a year. By then it may be too stiff to bend.

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 23:27

I planted the tree trunk straight with the roots at an angle. Thanks for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here