Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulberries, sapote, and Figs...OH MY...

Posted by ahajmano none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 22:03

So I just cleared out a 50' X 50' section of my property, but I still have a problem... I Have too many fruit trees I intended on planting here, and some of the varieties will absolutely take over!

Mulberries:
1X Persian white
1X Pakistan

Sapote:
1X White suebelle
1X black

Figs: 4 varieties.

Golden nuggett loquat

3 types of tropical Guava.

Now I know I can keep the guavas in check with pruning, but everything I have read indicates that the mulberries and sapote are difficult to size-control. The Figs can be pruned, but at the expense of fruit since it fruits on last years wood.

any suggestions? should I put the mulberries and sapote trees in large containers instead of in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulberries, sapote, and Figs...OH MY...

This might help a little.It's a video about pruning Mulberry. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Mulberry

o

You can plant 3 or 4 of one type of tree in one hole.

I can attest to the fact mulberry grows like crazy. I have an older non-fruiting mulberry in my front yard. It was pruned in March of last year, and then again in December of this year. Some poles of new growth were over 15'... so 15 feet in 9 months. And there were LOTS of poles. Yes, this is from a tree with a huge trunk and root system, and I am in Southern California. But regardless, mulberry is a fast grower.

o

A clever way to size control a fig was mentioned in the Fruit Gardener magazine (put out by the California rare fruit growers). The method is to allow one shoot to come up from the roots every year and at the end of the 3rd year after fruiting cut the oldest shoot to the ground.This works because figs are started from cuttings thus are on their own roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here