Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longbeachin1

Rooting Persimmon Cuttings

longbeachin1
17 years ago

I just received some requested persimmon hardwood cuttings from Univ. of CA, Davis. Has anyone had any success trying to root persimmon hardwood cuttings? If so, how was it done?

Comments (11)

• ingalls
    17 years ago

Intreresting. I have a persimmon tree but had not thought of getting cuttings.
    If you have a few, maybe you could try a few different methods. I'm sure other people will give you more meaningful responses, but in the meantime, are you refridgerating them or are they in water? .. ... ....

• joereal
    17 years ago

Not to discourage you, but I have yet to see somebody successfully propagated persimmon by rooting hardwood cuttings. I have tried, my friends have tried, even air-layering and several treatments of rooting hormones, to no avail.

But it is so easy to graft persimmon cuttings.

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

I've tried it a couple of times in the past, with total failure - but I stuck a few dormant cuttings in a nursery bed, back in December. Time will tell as to whether or not they'll take, but I'll be grafting this selection onto seedling rootstock, just in case.
    I've seen a couple of blurbs on rooting persimmon cuttings - and both suggested that 2-yr old wood, 1" in diameter was the best candidate. Unlike most cuttings, sealing both basal and apical ends was recommended to prevent rotting.

• joereal
    17 years ago

Native American Persimmons are easier to propagate by cuttings. About 4 years ago, I simply stuck 6 cuttings in the ground and 5 of them grew.

But not the Fuyu and other bigger fruit oriental non-astringent types.

• quinoah
    17 years ago

hi joereal,
    interesting! did you used dormat cuttings or one being cut in the growing season? any special treatment or method?

thanks!

• joereal
    17 years ago

Am not sure, if they were pre-treated or not. They were sent to me by a friend, and they were dormant cuttings. I have given them all away after grafting something else over them.

• jellyman
    17 years ago

Longbeachin1:

I don't suppose you could have missed the nearby post from Walter Upchurch, (25 Feb.) indicating he has a surplus of persimmon rootstocks. Let's see: You have scions, Walter has rootstocks. Seems like a marriage made in heaven.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• longbeachin1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I've got cuttings from Izu and Jiro Persimmon trees. The dormant cuttings were shipped to me with some fig cuttings from U C Davis. I've stuck them into Starbuck's large frapachino cups (clear plastic with dome lids). They're like their own mini greenhouse. The cups have holes for ventilation and drainage. The rooting mixture is half perlite and half potting soil. I have pretty good success rooting fig cuttings this way. The clear plastic cups are great for actually seeing root growth develop and not having to guess. I place the cuttings outside in a bright but shady area. We'll see what happens. If I have success with the persimmons, I'll post again.

• flora2
    17 years ago

Hi
    Ingalls, do you actually get fruit in the PNW? Thanks

• vidnand
    2 years ago

Sorry to bump the old thread. @longbeachin1 , were you able to root the cuttings?

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz