Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry Avocados

Posted by khali So.Calif. (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:22

We moved into a home in Oct. 2013, and picked good sized avocados from the three mature trees in the backyard. As we waited for them to be ready to eat, we noticed they had dried out and were not edible; this happened a few different times. We fertilized the trees...still dried out avocados. Does anyone know what to do next? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry Avocados

Do you know what kind of avo they are?

Any photos of the tree or fruit?

FYI avos grown from pits often are...the pits.

o

If the skin wrinkled up....they were not ripe. They should not dry up....either way. Can you give more details?

o

I'm no avocado expert, but years ago I wanted to buy an orchard in Fallbrook. When I found out the costs of water and feeding, I now happily buy my avocados at the grocery!

They need a lot of water! Another theory is the one thing that dries out citrus is freeze. Did they get frozen this year? I know So CA had some freezes where temps dropped below 30 even in San Diego, so that could also be the problem.

o

Wow, you all are great replying so fast! I'm attaching a photo I took this morning. My sister has the same tree, 40 mi. north of us, and it gives beautiful avocados (she hardly does anything to it). If I pick the avocado in the photo, in a few days it'll dehydrate. Thanks again.

o

We bought an avocado yesterday. Got one that does well with a few chill hours. Not exactly sure of the name. It's early, and the plant is outside in the foggy morning. But it's something like Gran Mexicali or something like that.

Anyway, I asked the nursery guy why some of the leaves of these new trees were brown. FREEZE! They don't like freeze and most of So CA had it.

Your sister's trees might be protected by a structure or something. I know we had a seedling next to the house facing east, and it thrived through the freeze. It's now in ground down low on our hill, so it might get some brown leaves next winter.

As long as your trees are getting enough water, they'll probably produce good avocados next season. Freezes are unusual here, but all our weather is pretty weird.

Suzi

o

The tree is suffering from lack of water. With the upcoming storms...I bet you will see a flush of new/healthy growth in a few weeks. The above comments regarding avos loving water is correct. Know your soil type. Sandy soil leaches out water much quicker than a heavy soil. I still do not understand why the fruit "dries up". That is rare and should not happen. Consult when to pick fruit (depends on variety).

o

Thanks everyone...we're expecting rain here, so with any luck things may 'pick up' as far as the trees go, and we'll be sure to hand water them. Hope it works!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here