Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whatShouldMaCallIt?

Posted by milque_toast SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 22:29

Found this strange creature on the ground under a tree. Looks like a sea shell about 1.5" long and wiggles it's tail.
will be verrrry grateful if somebody gives me it's name(called it Jim, John, Paul & Ali, but it wouldn't answer)

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whatShouldMaCallIt?

wiggles its tail? eeeck
looks like a chrysalis to me

o

Thanks for your help, Mom.
Was searching the web for the specie name. Finally found - Pupa of Manduca quinquemaculata( Papa of my old friend Tomato Hornworm). Revenge will be swift!

o

Eeeeew!
as in those hateful creatures that gooble up my hard won gourmet heirloom tomatoes?
squash it quick ha
u r vry welcome milque toast

o

Actually, the tomato hornworm is the larva of a very beautiful and important pollinator--the hummingbird moth. These are really magnificent creatures, seen often at dusk pollinating flowers. They are especially beneficial to gourds and other night-blooming plants. Also, the chrysalis resembles the luna moth, another beautiful species.

o

In addition the hornworm is the host for the eggs of the beneficial insect parasitic wasp (tiny wasp that goes after bad bugs not people). If one looks like it has grains of rice stuck on it's back then it is growing good bugs. I usually get one or two a year and let them chomp on extra leaves till the little dudes hatch.

Pam in cinti

Here is a link that might be useful: parasitic wasps life cycle

o

What you have has already done it's damage, might as well let it hatch just to see the beautiful creature that comes out.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here