Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit storage: combo cool room/warm room?

Posted by marc5 6aOH (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 22:39

I will be expanding my fruit production in coming years, so I am working on more storage capacity, particularly for apples, pears and pawpaws. I am planning to create a cool room with a Coolbot AC system that has been discussed here. It will be an 8'x8' room lined with blue insulation board. With the extreme low temperatures we are having--many of my apples in storage are now frozen solid--I am hoping to make this cool room also a "warm" room as necessary. Any thoughts about a Coolbot cool room that is also fitted with heat lamps on a thermostat to keep temperatures in the 33-40 degree range during these frigid days? The room will be in an unheated barn.

Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit storage: combo cool room/warm room?

Sounds like a nice project. My first thought is you may need more insulation. At least that would be my plan going in. I'd have walls, floor and ceiling at least 12 inches thick with insulation. I've heard the blow in cellulose is good and cheap. You could build another wall outside your existing walls and fill it with insulation.

Only problem with more insulation is it might take too long to cool down. Can you explain if there is anyway designed in to quickly cool the fruit? Can you blow in cold air thru ducts?

My other thought is that those rain gutter cables that are designed to keep rain gutters from freezing could be strung around on the inside walls. This would be better than heat lamps, because the heat is more diffuse. The cables are sturdy, cheap, and come with a thermostat.

More heat mass inside might also help. Barrels of water for instance. Any of that included?

o

I like the ground for insulation although that isn't always practical. My storage room is my well house that was built into the side of a hill. Dirt insulates all but the entry side.

I've read that garbage cans buried in the ground can function well for apple storage, where you bring it out a half bushel at a time, placing a bale of hay or something similar over the top. Creates it's own low oxygen environment close to the virtues of CA storage. You are obviously looking at a much more sophisticated set-up, but I mention this for others drawn to the topic operating on a smaller scale.

o

Fruitnut, I like the idea of the gutter cables. I will look into those. I need to compare the energy draw of those to heat lamps.

Based on the Coolbot website, I'm hoping that two layers of 2" blue board will be adequate insulation, at least for cooling season. Apparently, when the gizmo is fitted to the AC, it cools down very well. I don't know about heating during the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here