Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jagchaser

Forcing blooms indoors

jagchaser
10 years ago

I pruned my peach trees the other day and took about 30 sticks inside. I put them in vases to see if the buds survived the cold spell we had. Kept them full of water and now 2 weeks later, ALL of the buds have dried up and fallen off. The area behind the bud appears green, and the stem is still pliable.

Is it possible that the humidity was just too low inside the house and the buds couldn't take it......or was it -15f that did them in?

I was hoping that at least the vegetative buds would have survived.

Comments (8)

• franktank232
    10 years ago

I took a few cuttings from my Alderman plum and a few a Puget Gold apricot. This has been a good 3 weeks now and here is what i see. I see the plums are swelling and green (going to flower) and the apricots are dead...nothing. I even took a knife and cut through a bunch of the buds and nothing. I believe everything is dead! I have little hope for any 'cots this year, but maybe i'll be proven wrong. I've removed most of my peaches (just some seedlings). Another reason I have moved all my stonefruit into containers where they have handled the very cold garage conditions just fine. I think part of it is just the sun/wind.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Jag,

I did the same thing. Cut shoots and placed them in a vase. Many of the flower buds fell off. A couple flowered. I had lots of vegetative buds start to push growth. They pushed about 1/2" green before I threw them away.

I had a poor bloom out of that bunch. I believe the shoots were all from one tree, so I don't yet know how it will turn out, but I'm not optimistic.

We had negative 10F here. You got colder and suspect received more winter kill.

Did you see any vegetative buds push growth? Did you clip the ends of the shoots right before you put them in water? I think it's important to clip the ends right before you place them in water, so they don't have a chance to seal off.

• jagchaser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I clipped them to equal length right before I put them in the water. I see NO vegetative buds even swelling either. Nothing looks good on these.

I didn't even try any of the shoots from my other location. It is 100 miles north of here in the Platte valley. It hit -20 there.

I have some shoots from sweetheart and van sweet cherry. Then other shoots from Montmorency and northstar and those look better, but they are only a week in the water.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Olpea- The cots don't even seem to have leaves.. whole tree is probably dead. Not a loss other then its got a bunch of grafted wood on it.

• jagchaser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I clipped them to equal length right before I put them in the water. I see NO vegetative buds even swelling either. Nothing looks good on these.

I didn't even try any of the shoots from my other location. It is 100 miles north of here in the Platte valley. It hit -20 there.

I have some shoots from sweetheart and van sweet cherry. Then other shoots from Montmorency and northstar and those look better, but they are only a week in the water.

• curtis
    10 years ago

Where are you in NE? I am across from Omaha in IA, I put a couple of clippings from my peach tree in water, the buds are swelling waiting to see if I get flowers

• jagchaser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in sw Nebraska about an hour south of Lexington.

• jagchaser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It dipped to - 12f this morning here. I think that is pretty late in the season for Temps that cold. We had Temps above 60f a couple weeks ago. The trees I heeled in last week had already started bud swell.