Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it easy to grow blueberry shrub?

Posted by preppyjock 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 22:48

there are several types at my local Lowe's store, i didn't know which one is the best.

and i planted two 2 years ago, they just died. so i wonder if it is easy to grow it, and will your home planted blueberry shrub produce enough for you to eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it easy to grow blueberry shrub?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 23:20

They're pretty easy to grow if your soil is low pH. Do you know what pH your soil is and where are you located? It's usually much easier in a humid climate because that's where the low pH soils are more likely.

o

Easy to grow if you have the right pH, the soil is light and well drained and you have ready access to water so you can keep them moist.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 9:50

Much of the USA has limestone underground, and usually the soil in these places has pH over 7. Also, the well water will be alkaline, so watering the shrubs will raise pH a bit more. But blueberries are adapted to acidic soil, which is often found on the slopes of a volcano, or downwind of a volcano, where volcanic ash has been deposited. The soil found under evergreen trees is also acidic, but only if the forest has been there for thousands of years. It's easy enough to grow blueberries once you understand pH, and how to keep it at the right place for blueberry shrubs. They also need lots of sunlight, and consistent soil moisture, so they can be high maintenance in some locations. Drip irrigation is often used to maintain soil moisture.

o

Grow them in a pot or a raised bed at least 10 high and use mostly pine bark mulch, a little peat moss and perilite or sand. Use rain water if you can. It takes a lot of the guess work out of soil and water ph. If you use tap water they will struggle over the long run unless you really stay ontop of them. In my opinion there not easy to grow. Easy would be something like Okra, you have to try hard to kill those things. About the only fruit that i grow that's easy is blackberries and may be muscadine grapes. Every thing else so far seems to requires quite a bit if attention. Good luck and happy growing!

o

Around here they're quite easy to grow, mainly because its been pine forest out here forever. I have three in my back yard that I've had for years now, and my great aunt has two in her yard that require ladders to harvest, and she does nothing but ignore them when it comes to caring for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here